IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It follows the spoken form.
July 1st, 2007 -> 07-01-2007

No mystery there. Not convenient from a computer standpoint, but logical enough when you look at where it came from. Not many people say "The first of July, 2007" or "2007 in July on the 1st".
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Well, the rest of us find your spoken form equally silly.
You may not say "The first of July, 2007", but as Alex' Wikipedia quote shows(*), you DO say it the sensible way around when it comes to the fourth.

You *could* just as well do that for the first, and all the other days of the year, too.

Or do you have any particular reason to *say* it your silly way around?

Naah, thought so.

(*): Which we knew before, of course, from all the BeepBash threads if nothing else.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New Sure, it's a funnel sort - -
Unless I'm going to say: "OK my next utterance will be about a date:"
- then spout 2007, 14th of [what month? what Month?!? ... the impatient listener says to self]
- of ... July!

I can say, Out of the Blue

"Oh, on July 7 let's ____" (There! it's That Month and.. the date. Year is implicit unless added, "'0x")
(If THIS month, "Oh, on the 7th yada.."
(Or would you prefer, proximo / ultimo? / Enclosed please find..)

Short, direct - minimal suspense, fewest syl-la'-bles.

HTH

You silly..
New Then skip the "of": "On 7 July..."
...need not be any more ungrammatical than the converse: It's just convention that declares "July 7" grammatically correct; start using "Oh, on 7 July let's ____", and then that becomes the convention and therefore "correct".

Plus, its endianism will make sense.

Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New I'm so happy you have nothing more important to worry about
Smile,
Amy
New Well, Anna Nicole is dead, and all, so...
(And these kiddie hussies, PaBritSey and their ilk, are just not the same thing -- freaking toddlers, for one thing, and zero fucking curves, for another -- so I really can't work up the least bit of care-about for any of them...) So what else is there I *should* care about?

New strong drink you iggorant finn!
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Yeah, well, I thought we wre talking about something...
...besides the obvious daily necessities.

Stupid American language - (warmachine) - (11)
         Stupid, no. Eccentric, yes. - (imqwerky)
         Oh where did we ever get that silly date format? - (Andrew Grygus)
         But not unique. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             It follows the spoken form. - (admin) - (7)
                 Well, the rest of us find your spoken form equally silly. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                     Sure, it's a funnel sort - - - (Ashton) - (5)
                         Then skip the "of": "On 7 July..." - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             I'm so happy you have nothing more important to worry about -NT - (imqwerky) - (3)
                                 Well, Anna Nicole is dead, and all, so... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     strong drink you iggorant finn! -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Yeah, well, I thought we wre talking about something... - (CRConrad)

If I'm trying to do something that stupid, strong typing is the least of my problems.
70 ms