IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I love'em
They hate me.

I've been driving with the "gimme money light on" for a while, as posted a while back.

Took it into the dealer a couple of days ago, since the local slime mechanics wanted aroun $1,200 to replace all the oxygen sensors. Needed the timing belt as well.

When we were 1/2 done (ie: I ran out of money), we were up to $2,200.
New Ouch.
New It was time
1st major money I've put into it other than accident related stuff.
It's got a 110,000 miles, and runs strong. The timing belt was 50,000 miles overdue.
New Knock on wood...
I'm at 283,000 '99 Chrysler Cirrus.

So far only A/C compressor and a fuel pump (other than tires, brakes)

And it's pulling ~27mpg.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Re: I love'em
This makes no sense to me. And if, perchance you actually Needed "All" the O2 sensors: what is that, 2? I'm sure they can be bought on web for <$100 each (one for my '94 was 50ish; no need to install it yet - it's for a test.)

O2 sensors send a varying DC voltage signal to the ECU (engine control unit) when they return out-of-range values -- I guess you saw the CEL light come on = check engine light(?) The ECU itself can fail, but very rarely does so, from all hearsay accounts.. but when 2 or More? "O2 sensors" are said to have "failed" -??- well, you know the odds on coincidences. Such a diagnosis would be a Red flag for me.

Similarly: it's an unscrew, clean threads - screw-in "install". There is NO 'adjustment' - except that the ECU has to 'like' it (and if it didn't like a new one: you'd be looking, I hope: at a recycler yard price for an ECU. at least to plug-in and verify that yours is broken. Or is Not broken (Mfgs. Never give out diagrams for their black boxes, of course.) 'Course, maybe you don't have the time to cover your ass.

Could you be due for a Second Opinion kinda non-ripoff mechanic?

Timing belt R&Rs ARE 1000ish at dealer shop rates, on many cars. And about half that at decent independent mechanics. (And there are those, out there.) Dunno your brand.

C'mon Crazy - this is logic stuff; you don't have to roll over, play dead and eat foggy triple-digit estimates. An O2 sensor is a no-moving-parts piezo/ceramic thingy which generates voltages as the fuel/air mixture deviates from an ideal ratio. Most last 100Ks of miles..

Luck,

I.

Using a friend's new ATT hi-speed connection on Win 98SE -- which ATT won't ""support"" -- which *I*, who did not install it, just unflummoxed via simple logic and "let's try This, then". This post is the test that it is now connecting UP/DOWN OK, with no more Router-generated "PPPoE LCP negotiation fail" pop-up, on 'Connect'.

(And ... I've made it a jelloware-saving principle (thus far..) to Do No Networking == I grok this system about as well as you, apparently - grok cars. Right?) Hate to see folks get ripped off.

New Oh, I know it was BS
The car is a Mazda Millenia.

Yes, I know I only needed one. The computer only tells you which pair, and then you are supposed to test to figure out which one. The garage was trying to rip me off, it was obvious.

The O2 sensors run between $130 and $180 (memory, too lazy to Google). Dealer charged me about $210 for the part, plug diagnostics to read the computer and then figure out which one. That portion of the work for around $400.

But no, no way am I taking a wrench to my car. I don't know what I don't know, and the cost of the mistake usually far outweighs the occasional rip-off. You have a vast amount of knowledge, and once you get to that level, I think you trivialize it.

When I had my 1977 Impala, I could change my plugs, check for vacuum failure, and open up the butterfly on the carburator on cold start days. I'd do my own oil changes, air filter, etc.

Those days are over.

Last time I did spark plugs was on my Honda Accord. Screwed it up so bad when it got fouled it needed to be drilled out. Never again.
Expand Edited by crazy Sept. 26, 2007, 10:47:24 PM EDT
New Tsk Tsk
Wise woman say: always buy repair manual to car.

That way, at least you can read what is going on and not get completely and utterly screwed. It is the best $30 - $50 you will ever spend.

Oh, and second corollary: make friends with people who know how to fix cars.

Once in a great while, you will make a mistake, but you learn from them. Most of the time you will save yourself a buttload of money.

Try, try again sez I. (You can send me what you save :-D)
Smile,
Amy
New But will you pay the amount he loses?
Remember whom you are talking about!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New Good point :-)
Smile,
Amy
New time to buy a 77 impala
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New *chortle*
Or a Grand Marquis Brougham (being sure to pronounce each syllable - old joke from when my brother was a car salesman) now there was a fine land yacht!
Smile,
Amy
New if I could find a 78 I would be driving it
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New GMB was my brother's 1st car
     I hate cars. - (admin) - (27)
         Correction. - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Indeed. - (admin) - (5)
                 Coil Pack? - (gdaustin) - (4)
                     Injector port. - (admin) - (3)
                         Holy Crap - (imqwerky) - (2)
                             Well, the decision was fix or replace. - (admin) - (1)
                                 I understand completely - (imqwerky)
         sounds like it slipped a timing belt :-( -NT - (boxley) - (5)
             Doesn't have one. - (admin) - (4)
                 Tensioners for the chain? -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     If it were the chain - (admin) - (2)
                         No, not chain failure - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Well, we'll find out - (admin)
         :-( I hope it's a simple fix. -NT - (Another Scott)
         I love'em - (crazy) - (12)
             Ouch. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 It was time - (crazy) - (1)
                     Knock on wood... - (jbrabeck)
             Re: I love'em - (Ashton) - (8)
                 Oh, I know it was BS - (crazy) - (7)
                     Tsk Tsk - (imqwerky) - (2)
                         But will you pay the amount he loses? - (folkert) - (1)
                             Good point :-) -NT - (imqwerky)
                     time to buy a 77 impala -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                         *chortle* - (imqwerky) - (2)
                             if I could find a 78 I would be driving it -NT - (boxley)
                             GMB was my brother's 1st car -NT - (crazy)

Every 3-4 episodes they would finally attack each other and some stupid aerial melee would begin with missed attacks inevitably shattering backdrops while direct hits only propelled the enemy into backdrops for shattering.
202 ms