IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MIT Coed in Alleged Bomb Hoax Known as Free Spirit
[link|http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3635225&page=1|http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3635225&page=1]

Star Simpson, the MIT sophomore arrested this morning after allegedly entering Boston's Logan airport with a bomblike object affixed to her shirt, is impulsive and creative but not a danger to anyone, say her fellow classmates.

Police say that Simpson, 19, walked up to an information booth to ask about an incoming flight, wearing a computer circuit board affixed to the front of a black sweatshirt with attached wires and a 9-volt battery. On the back of the shirt was the writing, "Socket to me." She was holding a lump of Play-Doh in one hand, said police, who determined that the apparatus was not explosive.

With current, US paranoia, walking into an airport with anything amateur and electronic is just plain stupid. You can start a panic with aggressive, flashing signs, let alone circuitry. I want to know what would be the public reaction if she was shot and killed. Would the public demand non-lethal methods when arresting suspected bombers or teenagers? Would there be notices against wearing amateur, electronic circuits? Would the public regard the occasional death a price worth paying for safety?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New Not just stupid. Illegal.
That is one thing you cannot joke about. Its been posted for as long as they've had metal detectors.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New She knew full well what she was doing
If she had been shot, she asked for it, plain and simple. With the current environment, her little stunt is like poking a stick in a hornet's nest. I'm all for free speech, but she could've gotten her message across for career day with a poster.

Just don't have much sympathy for whack-o's this morning :-/
Smile,
Amy
New No sympathy from this Course VI graduate.
MIT's Course VI is Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. The CS part of the name was added well after I graduated.

It's fitting that she is a sophomore, literally a smart fool. The fool part, in this case, is in the social sphere. Not everyone is, or for that matter could be, amused by her antics.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New She's a dangerous idiot
No tears if they had killed her, and certainly no using it as a cause celeb to be more gentle with nutcakes.
New Yes we are all willing-idiots in a level of hysteria
which is magnified immensely by Muricans' traditional technical ignorance, rampant despite the number of folks maxxed-out on their CCS; buying electronic toys. We are beginning to look so silly that it is impossible to lampoon How Silly. And effete: above all, that.

IIRC, the earlier stunt in Bahston.. the simple blinky-blinky toys (ad campaign in bus shelters) == nowhere near flying-boxcutters: prompted similar sentiments there, in-effect approving of the continuing mass ignorance of all things more complex than a stone wheel + wood axle.

While the cluelessness is not new.. the instant-hysteria over \ufffdAnything that blinks, IS. Clip from another venue
> Clueless female security with limited English [snip]

It sounds a lot like my experience at the San Francisco airport in '79. The clueless 'screener' INSISTED on hand examining the contents of my camera case and dropped my newly serviced Leica camera body screwing up the
light meter. As a direct result none of my China pics were properly exposed and I've no record of the trip of a lifetime, China before modernization.

> > I used to fly out of ORD hauling fragile X-Ray tubes in the 70s & 80s
> > that my company bought an extra seat for the tube. Ever try to explain
> > that an X-Ray tube is harmless when properly packed in a 24 x 24 x 36
> > box and that it required a lot of extra hardware to be dangerous. I
> > never had a problem with Tek scopes when I carried them, strange

Yes, but it was a space payload being hand delivered to Boeing in Seattle. The ticket said "Mr. Box" and the clueless idiots didn't realize it was just that, a box, destined for space. Never mind that there were about 30 crates of our test gear in the same plane's hold. As a result the plane was an hour late leaving the gate.

As to flying, I'm done with being a passenger. Let them take out their silliness on the sheep. I don't HAVE to vacation somewhere that requires flying in their cattle cars.

[...]

> >> I started to feel the effects of public fear on those that
> >> brought technology to the airports about 20 years ago. I used to have
> >> to travel with my 2465 and my tool case full of suspicious looking thingies.
> >> Even back then I got very suspicious treatment. I remember one instance
> >> when a baggage checker saw my OK tools solder sucker on the X-Ray
> >> and thought it was a zip gun (an improvised pistol made of plumbing
> >> parts). I assured her it was an electronics tool, and cocked it and
> >> pressed the button to demonstrate... she hit the floor! And I was
> >> instantly surrounded by mouth breathers with guns. Fun!
> >>
> >> And then there was the baggage checker that thought my hemostats meant
> >> I was carrying drugs. I have never had my socks and underware checked
> >> so carefully.
SO then.. let's all STILL dignify the Rove Plan for Continuous Fearmongering -- by assuming that It Is Out of Our Hands. Shall we? And on to 2017 too - because THAT's the Plan on which all 3 'houses' of govt. are currently converging. Or does anyone here imagine they are Not?

Baa Baa
Have you any wool?
Nation of the Scared-shitless and Damn Proud to show the dirty drawers to Prove it.

Hell we're even scared to let Ahmadinejad try to weave his compelling (!) rhetoric? / ignorant holocaust twaddle to the natives: They'll Believe ANYTHING (OK that part IS true.)

It's not just that daily cowardice, I think.. its the utter grinding abject nature of this Murican Daily Cowardice. Daddy! Mommy! Make Me Safe I Don't Want Ever To Die. OK? OK?????

\ufffd Akmed - this bombb has Not enough blinky-blinky lights to explode. ISss for Muricans - must have More Blinky-Blinkies! you syphilitic son of a heretical camel.

.. but we'll always have the Car gun, the Bedroom gun, the Day gun, the Going-out smaller-gun.
Gosh - not secure enough, yet? Can the Church-gun, the Poetry-slam gun be long in the marketing?
New Honest Mr Border Security
this nuke is just a fake. Its a big joke really. Just laugh and let me pass. All in good fun.

Oh wait, sounds to me like the simple act of >having< security means we're a nation of cowards.

And surprise, its all part of Karl Rove's evil plan to take over the world, sharing power with Bush, Rush and Ahmadinejad. Lex Luther gets Australia.

Oh look mommy, that poor man has a case full of clay and wires. Gee it looks heavy. I wonder if he makes ashtrays?
New Blinky Blinky, O Mio reductio absurdum Dio

New Ah c'mon
The lex luther part was at least a little humorous.
New Might have been, if it were at least spelled correctly. HTH!
New But then you wouldn't have had anything to comment on.
     MIT Coed in Alleged Bomb Hoax Known as Free Spirit - (warmachine) - (10)
         Not just stupid. Illegal. - (bepatient)
         She knew full well what she was doing - (imqwerky)
         No sympathy from this Course VI graduate. - (a6l6e6x)
         She's a dangerous idiot - (crazy)
         Yes we are all willing-idiots in a level of hysteria - (Ashton) - (5)
             Honest Mr Border Security - (bepatient) - (4)
                 Blinky Blinky, O Mio reductio absurdum Dio -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Ah c'mon - (bepatient) - (2)
                         Might have been, if it were at least spelled correctly. HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             But then you wouldn't have had anything to comment on. -NT - (bepatient)

Save your piss. Seriously.
157 ms