IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More from the horse's mouth.
[link|http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22326.wss|IBM Press Release]:

Beginning today at [link|http://www.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony|www.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony], business, academic, governmental and consumer users alike can download this enterprise-grade office software, which is the same tool inside some of IBM's most popular collaboration products, such as the recently released Lotus Notes 8. In addition, these tools can be used to seamlessly extend a business process or custom application to create dynamic composite applications.

There are three core applications that make up the Lotus Symphony tools: Lotus Symphony Documents, Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets and Lotus Symphony Presentations. These intuitive software tools, which support Windows and Linux desktops, are designed to handle the majority of office productivity tasks that workers typically perform. Lotus Symphony supports multiple file formats including Microsoft Office and Open Document Format (ODF), and also can output content in PDF format.

Increasingly, users of productivity software are challenging the confines of the desktop. IBM Lotus Symphony provides a fresh, people-oriented way to create, contribute and reuse content instantly across a wide range of applications. In addition, because it is based on ODF, Lotus Symphony allows organizations to access, use and maintain all their documents for the long-term, without worrying about ongoing software licensing and royalty fees.

"IBM is committed to opening office desktop productivity applications just as we helped open enterprise computing with Linux," said Steve Mills, senior vice president and group executive, IBM Software Group. "The lifeblood of any organization is contained in thousands of documents. With the Open Document Format, businesses can unlock their information, making it universally accessible on any platform and on the Web in highly flexible ways."

Last week, IBM announced its membership in OpenOffice.org and intent to make important technical and resource contributions. By teaming with the community to accelerate the rate of innovation in the office productivity software marketplace, IBM expects to deliver higher value to users of its products and services. This will lead to a broader range of solutions and ODF-supported applications that draw from the OpenOffice.org technology.

I guess someone will have to download it to see whether it's OO.o with a different name, or a version of SmartSuite.

(Oh, the Symphony link gives me a 503 at the moment.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Really preliminary view
better have a big hard drive. Download, unzip requires about 265m and then another 315m for the install...

more to come.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Its definitely beta software
right down to the very big button that says OPEN that really means CREATE NEW.

Its bloated...more akin to STAROFFICE and the unified desktop model (that being open a new doc or spreadsheet or presentation and it all opens within the same master window.

Doc conversion seems to be pretty good. Thrown a few different versions of powerpoints at it and besides some font issues...everything was handled fairly well.

Its NOT going to move me from openoffice at this point. Not even close. The Lotus name may win it some converts...especially anyplace still using NOTES as I'm sure it will integrate.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Thanks for taking the time to look and report.
     IBM Step into Free Office Software Arena - (pwhysall) - (6)
         Why would they do that? - (bepatient)
         More from the horse's mouth. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Really preliminary view - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Its definitely beta software - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Thanks for taking the time to look and report. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: IBM Step into Free Office Software Arena - (altmann)

Excuse me while I call for a mop.
41 ms