IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Print Spooler Crash Trace?
We have a Windows Server 2003 print spooler that is crashing. The sys admin wants our area to have workstations print directly to printer if we can't solve the spooler crash, but I'd rather not do that because we'd have to manually install drivers in bunches of workstations, which defeats the very purpose of a "server" and is a time waste.

The server logs successful prints, but not crashed ones in any way I know of. As an analogy, you can't ask a dead pilot where his plane came from after a plane-crash. Does anyone by chance know of a way to log which printer is attempting to use the spooler?

If we can identify the specific printer or driver triggering the crash, then we could install an older version of the driver or just install that single one manually.

Thanx
New I don't know W2k3, but maybe this will help.
On Win2k I have the following:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Event Viewer -> System Log

Looking in there, on the equivalent area of the W2k3 print server, may give some useful information, but most of the info (here anyway) is very terse.

HTH a bit. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nope, source not tracked if crash
The event logs only log successful prints. If the spooler crashes, all it logs is that the spooler crashes. I can't find where it logs the source printer of attempts.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New W2K3 SP1 gives more info
At least, according to [link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890402|MS]

If that is not an option, check if NT4 drivers have snuck in. (They live in %winroot%\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\w32x86\\2). NT drivers can create havoc on servers where multiple desktops can be active (like Citrix and Terminal Services)
     Print Spooler Crash Trace? - (tablizer) - (4)
         I don't know W2k3, but maybe this will help. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Nope, source not tracked if crash - (tablizer)
         the event logs should have some info? -NT - (boxley)
         W2K3 SP1 gives more info - (scoenye)

You can put makeup on a pig. It's still a pig.
50 ms