IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Man, it never ends . . .
The current Dell I'm installing and configuring Debian on came with a 16-port Digi ethernet portserver that needed to be set up.

Digi's rpm installation instructions are confusing enough for Red Hat, but for Debian I just couldn't make sense of them. I used the full compile method instead - but that bombed - incompatible with Debian Etch.

Fortunately Debian is one of the four Linux distributions Digi directly supports - and their tech support is an order of magnitude faster than most hardware vendors. They had a new driver in testing at a secret location - but only as an rpm package.

I still couldn't interpret their rpm install instructions, but developed a hybrid of rpm and compile that works fine.

Then I found their documentation included only a GUI config program (wish based) and we have no GUI. Fortunately tech support took only 1/2 hour to respond with where to find a CLI config program.

The config program wouldn't run - needed something called "fuser". Took some time sorting through Internet trash to find out what package that was part of so I could install it.

Finally, set up rc2.d links to the /etc/init.d files and were're done.

Tomorrow I'll attach a terminal to it and see if I can actually log on (after setting up the port in inittab, of course).

Sheeeesh! another day and no dollar.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Finding packages...
'apt-get install apt-cache'
'apt-cache search fuser'
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New 'E: couldn't find package apt-cache' :)
And that's with all 21 CD's and debian's mirrors registered.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Sept. 12, 2007, 08:19:57 PM EDT
New Ugh, I'm an idiot.
I was thinking "apt-show-versions", which is a separate package.

"apt-cache" comes in the "apt" package, and should be installed already. Sorry for the confusion.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Man, it never ends . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         Finding packages... - (admin) - (2)
             'E: couldn't find package apt-cache' :) - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Ugh, I'm an idiot. - (admin)

This looks like the output of a Markov bot that's been fed bus timetables from a city where the buses crash constantly.
119 ms