IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Funny you should
[link|http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9032798| say].

Class Action soon? re candy-store type vendors of new hardware with Vista Only -- ordinary anti-tech customers wanting Out, after a similar cock-up?

Ed: Could this latest atrocity actually wake the dead? Links to some pretty decent excoriations, [link|http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/6097?from=10&comments_per_page=10| like]:
Brad wrote:

In the late 90's one of my former IT co-workers was hired by Motorola. His location ran 700 Mac's and 700 PC's. Nine Mac techs ran support on the Mac side. The same number of PC's required 23 techs. PC support was so overloaded it often took 2-3 days to resolve low priority trouble tickets. Management brilliantly proposed moving to single platform. Soon the Mac's were removed in favor of 700 shiny new PC's. This wise move cost the company $1.5 million in new hardware and software. Staffing additional PC techs cost $700k ANNUALLY. Other transition expenses (Hiring, downtime, retraining, lost productivity, etc...) easily ran into six figures. Furthermore, MOTOROLA MADE THE CHIPS IN THE MACS!!! Advanced chip design was one of the projects that engineers at this location worked on. The decision by Motorola was bewildering. Talented engineers were forced to switch platforms. I lost my remaining faith in corporate IT departments on that day.

I'm glad to hear that people are finally fed up with M$. I can't believe it has taken this long for the revolution to begin. I myself was forced into using several PC-only apps last year. I purchased a MacBook Pro and had BootCamp installed. With great remorse I paid for a legit copy of Windows XP Pro. I vowed that would be the last dime I ever spent with M$. I searched online and discovered OpenOffice dot org. Several times a week I switch over to "The Dark Side." I proudly run all non-M$ apps. OpenOffice is amazing considering the collaborative nature of the software. Firefox and Safari both work perfectly. I understand why my colleagues in China and India want nothing to do with expensive M$ applications. It seems unlikely that Microsoft will go the way of IBM but in the end that decision will be made by the people.

Posted on Mon, 08/27/2007 - 10:32pm| reply
fairbro wrote:

As a former Amiga user, I have watched as Microsoft leveraged its early O/S monopoly into a programming systems monopoly and then an office applications monopoly. Now it wants to be the sole provider of internet access, restricting internet programming to Microsoft approved and paid for programming venues, smart phone technology, home automation, and any application that uses a computer.

God help us if Microsoft is able to get a monopoly on internet search engines. Imagine a non-benevolent Google. Imagine a nightmare world where Big Brother Redmond can confiscate your access to the world of knowledge if you don't cough up the bucks for hardware and several levels of software.

It is sad to watch computer users "discover" such "new" technology that other people with other systems had used for years - the mouse, multimedia, animation, paralell processing, etc. Microsoft waits until forced by the market to make their own, worse, version.

Redmond always steals, I mean adopts, the cream of the crop, others' success. But they do it "better" - more kludgily, more slowly, it costs more money, and you have to buy it from them because there is no other choice.

X-Box - I don't want a software company marketing gore, senseless violence and stupidity to my kids (every night on a x-box is a night spend NOT reading books, becoming social or learning about reality). The X-Box is presently being sold in violation of "anti-dumping" laws established in the early 1900's against robber barons.

When I got my new laptop, it came with Vista. Vista didn't run several of my favorite programs (the laptop is useless to me) so I decided to install XP alongside it. However Vista informed me that my request to add MY software to MY laptop was "rejected."

Who the hell is Microsoft to tell my what I can put on MY OWN computer!!!???

What arrogance. As a conservative Repoublican, a believer in small government, I say Microsoft is the exception, that does need federal oversight.

Posted on Mon, 08/27/2007 - 10:36pm
Cthulhu - why it's a perfect parallel to the Bush Admin. And some believe not in a country's karma??

Expand Edited by Ashton Sept. 11, 2007, 11:03:34 PM EDT
New All the more reason
to stick to my "Vista Never" program.

I will build and run linux or buy Apple.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     Muahaha. - (pwhysall) - (2)
         Funny you should - (Ashton) - (1)
             All the more reason - (bepatient)

Hopefully it was a very temporary victory of the ignorant.
44 ms