IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bad power jack -
You may not care to resurrect, of course.

On a random pass a year+ back, I saw a guy on eBay doing refurbs of just that + some other connectors commonly tugged on. A certain guarantee.. was the point. (We all know about the vicissitudes of multi-layer boards, the special de- and resoldering techniques. Which sometimes don't work.)

He may have been talking $40. Likely others out there, of course ; haven't looked.
It's always seemed bizarre to trash a whole mobo for one trivial spot -- without at least, a try.
(Have you looked to see if it's just a visible cracked solder joint at the jack? Sometimes the hefty items don't get heated enough in one pass through the wave-soldering bath, and a hot-enough iron, quickly applied can produce that shiny fillet.)

Luck

Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 29, 2007, 06:31:30 PM EDT
New Thanks! I suspect you're right on.
I haven't totally given up on the laptop. As you can imagine, components are densely packed inside, so it's tough to get to anything. The laptop does have a parallel port and my wife had in mind to use it to operate her "quilting robot".
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
     I finally crossed to the Dark Side! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
         We use Firefox on our Macs without incident. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             I had to ditch Mail - (ubernostrum) - (4)
                 Depends. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Yeah, so do I - (ubernostrum)
                 Ooooh, Mr, Popular! :-) - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Yup, automated notifiers love me :) -NT - (ubernostrum)
         Wait -- I thought Winders was the dark side! - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             Well, I was thinking hardware platform! - (a6l6e6x)
         Bad power jack - - (Ashton) - (1)
             Thanks! I suspect you're right on. - (a6l6e6x)

We fly with a sort of irrational confidence.
78 ms