IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well now, isn't that cute.
Accidentally brought up my Debian system with the monitor cable unplugged. The Gnome desktop went to 640x480 with no resolution options showing (yes, they were still all in the xorg.conf). Even a turn-off restart wouldn't bring the choices back.

Another hour wasted on research to find that when this happens you have to put lines for HorizSync and VertRefresh into the xorg.conf.

It's crap like this that keeps Linux off the general desktop.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Hmmm. Simple fix... an excluded package. Oops.
Yes, the fix *IS* a package you more than likely forgot. You apparent fix works as its OLD school, forcing behavior. Doesn't address the real problem which is a package forgotten, as someone thinks its optional.

When Windows does this it is accepted as the norm.

So, how come you give it slack, and Wallop Linux... oh Wait, you give OS/2 slack...

And, you know what? I disinclined to help.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New Neither OS/2 nor Windows does this.
I boot Windows between 4 and 20 times a day - day in and day out. If it did this I'd have noticed. I only boot OS/2 once a month or so but it hasn't either, not in the last decade and a half anyway.

As for a missing package - stock standard install - [*] Desktop, [*] Web Server, [*] File Server, [*] Print Server, [*] Mailserver, [*] Standard.

So apparently it was the Debian crew that thought this mysterious package of yours was optional.

Fortunately I found a futile request for help for this problem. No help was provided, of course, but in a day or two the guy stumbled on the cause and posted it. He suggested configure-debian as the easiest way to correct the problem - Etch does not install configure-debian by default, of course.

Your statement "I disinclined to help" is pretty typical of what I see out there so I don't bother to ask. I see hundreds of requests for help that are never answered - except by newbies clogging up the search engines with wild guesses.

And yes, these problems do annoy me - because they costs me billable hours. I'm not on somebody's payroll, I'm the guy who has to meet payroll. So are my clients.
New My "Disinclined to help" is because of your cute...
Way of asking for help, you dolt.

So why not just use Windows if you are on the clock. Why even waste time booting another OS.

And yes it IS/WAS the Stupid Debian Developers that think this package is optional. Its not "configure-debian" either.

As for me being disinclined to help, its because of your cute little asswipe comment.

that's a big "This Linux stuff is SHIT and YOU ARE TOO... But you have to help me" kind of comment.

I'm done being shat upon and then being asked to help *you* (or those with similar attitudes) to help fix your problems.

If you want help... ask nicely... or shut the hell up.

Otherwise, I suggest you just quietly use Windows and like it.

And, yes, BTW, I do know the fix for your problem... seems there are some detection packages (one in particular) that aren't deemed required.

It goes without saying that searching for answers like this leads people to blow it off, we don't care to pissed upon and be required to cheerfully respond.

If you weren't using a Volunteer distro, you could pay for your pissy demeanor and still get support cheerfully. Why not goto SUSE or Redhat, or even Ubuntu and pay for support if YOU ARE BILLABLE and HAVE TO MAKE A PROFIT! You talk out of one side and say other things out the other.

Have a nice life with Windows and shutup and enjoy it.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New Reading comprehension please.
I didn't ask for help - from you or anyone else.

You don't like my fix? too damned bad - it works plenty well enough and that's all I requre.

I use this stuff because it's useful. I deal with environments that Windows doesn't serve.

I contribute to the Debian team - do you?

Do I bitch now and then? Yes I do, especially for behavior that makes it difficult for me to recommend Linux to a wider audience.

New Is it something to do with plug and play monitors?
I use a KVM on my home machines and I see similar behavior when I start up a linux box while the KVM is pointed to a different machine. If I restart the offending box, it comes up in the expected resolution. I had assumed that when booting, the system probed to find a P&P response and if not found, defaulted to VGA. It only does this when booting without a monitor present, so it's not that much of a pain for me.

So, Greg, was my assumption anywhere close?
Thanks,
Hugh
New That behavior would have been acceptable.
Unfortunately, with a monitor plugged in it didn't recover and didn't present any resolution choices. A power-off restart didn't help either.

If there's some secret package that fixes this, as Greg implies, it should be part of the install.
New It goes a bit deeper
KVM switches can feed incorrect EDID information to the PC. I've worked with one KVM setup where we had temporarily swapped a 17" CRT for a 15". Weeks after that, I booted up a Linux box on the switch and it came up using the 15" monitor frequencies. It turned out the KVM switch was still passing on the 15" data (easy to spot as the monitor serial number is part of the info.)

Windows seems to grab whatever settings it first encounters and doesn't care much about changes afterwards unless you go fiddle with the display settings. Linux believes what it receives in response to its P&P requests and pays the penalty if the data is incorrect.

The graphic cards themselves are involved as well. If the card can't detect a monitor on a port when the PC is started, it may just shut off the port. In that case, I haven't yet found a way to get anything back to normal short of rebooting because even recycling the X server will not reset the card.

E.g. a GeForce card with S-VHS port assumes you want TV out when no monitor is attached to the DVI or analog VGA ports and will enable only the S-VHS port. A monitor plugged in afterwards will not get any signal.
     Well now, isn't that cute. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
         Hmmm. Simple fix... an excluded package. Oops. - (folkert) - (6)
             Neither OS/2 nor Windows does this. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 My "Disinclined to help" is because of your cute... - (folkert) - (4)
                     Reading comprehension please. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Is it something to do with plug and play monitors? - (hnick) - (2)
                         That behavior would have been acceptable. - (Andrew Grygus)
                         It goes a bit deeper - (scoenye)