David Stafford hosts. A chap not unlike James Burke of Connections, a few years back.

He started in Silly Valley, talking to the folks who "do others' lives for them" because they have no time for a life:

laundry, cleaning pickup, food and other shopping, presents for relatives, friends, pictures put in albums ... ... no mention (or I missed it) about the baby: 'quality'-, rushed-, or any time at all. Dunno if he mentioned poetry- loafing- contemplating- music, actual Listening not-as-background-noise- -times, too (?)

Talking about folks working 14-16 hours a day and 'surviving' somewhat (?) on 3-4 hours sleep. Often. In Silly Valley, "there's never enough time to do all the stuff which must get done, but we ___"

Visited YAN Mormon enclave: Franklin Day Planner mfg. who
quoted Stephen Covey (~7 Habits of Very Effective People). Plan. Execute. Review. Schedule way ahead. Use that Time. Spend 10-15 min. planning every day, each day. yada yada

Showed a modern auto factory (Toyota), the 84 seconds/car off the line. How to shave off a few seconds at each sub-assembly point. How they did that. JIT and its consequences for assy., reordering - as \ufffd(dealers' estimates of customer wants). Etc.

Piles of e- gadgets, Complete Idiot's Guide to Time Management and all that stuff.

(I think he missed a good music background for this presentation: Philip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi. It would be perfect - with Glass's video shown in an insert: the blood corpuscles through veins / juxtaposed with auto taillights at intersections, in time-lapse ....)

I missed some good stuff, via cranky antenna / weather pattern: half of his closing Manifesto for the return of time to Us. Including:

... Let us replace the word 'more' with 'enough'.

... Let us make the Bee a Bad symbol - as in "busy as a ___"

... Let us reclaim Time to ... 'do' ... nothing.

All in all a fairly compact (1 hr.) indication of much of the countless things/qualities we have lost - to gain the illusion that 'more' might mean something other than - endless molding of humans to behave like machines: the frenzy of the auto plant, now perfusing offices everywhere. If you know what I mean. And I think you do.

In conclusion, if you are too busy to find out when this hits your area and to schedule time to see it (?) there will be some poetic justice in that.

Ashton

(My) recommended supplementary movie: Modern Times Charles Chaplin. Le plus s\ufffd change ... plus s\ufffd meme chose.