IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks, man!
I've lost my rosetta stone :-/
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New Adventures in Pidgin
So, thanks to Steve Lowe, I now can specify the correct protocol...which of course causes the Modify Account dialog to change completely. I still have my screen name (jb4), but now it wants a Domain and a Resource (which it so helpfully sets to "Home").

Let's see...Domain is probably iwethey.org...I have no idea what the Resource might be, so I'll just leave it at the default.

On the newly revamped Advanced tab, it wants a connect port of 5222...that's probably ok...and a Connect Server. Hmmmm...is that conference.iwethey.org or just iwethey.org? Let's try the former.

HEY!! There's a Register button, just like Another Scott said! Cool...Let's press it.

Uhhh, bad news! Nastygram says:
jb4@iwethey.org/Home (jb4) (XMPP) disconnected

Could not establish a connection with the server:
Error resolving conference.iwethey.org: 11004

Pidgin will not attempt to reconnect the account until you correct the error and re-enable the account

Well, at least they're trying to be helpful. OK so it's bitching about conference.iwethey.org. Mebbe the trick is to change the Connect Server to just iwethey.com (as that's the only place that conference.iwethey.org was entered.

Make the change and click Register...

Hey! That sorta worked... after clearing the "Register this Account" dialog by clincking its Register button, it tells me that "Registration of jb4@iwethey.org successful"

K3wl! Now, how to start? Go to the Buddies menu entry...It seems I would want to join a chat. OK...more dialogs to fill out:

Account: already filled out; syas: jb4@iwethey.org/Home (jb4) (XMPP). That sounds about right (or, at least it is consistent with the stuff inthe Account dialog)

Room: IIRC, it is ziwt

Server: already filled out, it is conference.iwethey.com. Hey! That's what i was told to expect! Things are looking up!

Handle: already filled out, it says jb4. I can live with that...

Password: I thought it was supposed to remember my password from the accounts dialog...OK I'll re-enter it here,and try to figure out why it didn't remember later.

Click Join and...a teeny tiny box shows up...with a conversation in progress! With people whose handles I recognize!

NOw, since I have my window backgrounds set tot a dark grey, some of the colors the client has chosen for me ar a bit difficult. I can't seem to find a way to override them (Bad Pidgin...no french fry!). But it seems that I'm on Now to post something...

That seems to work! and Found a couple of people there, too.

Thanx one and all for the help.
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New (Glad to hear I'm not the only one who)
goes through this little dialogue ... in those endless Cerea.. er Serial 'Boxes Made of Ticky-tack' which swarm like gnats around a flame, when all you wanted to do was Get One With It (and the boxes always assume you know the exact drill; why would you need any Hints? at pregnant [ pauses ... ]

This Stuff is all Still Soo Fscking PRIMITIVE - bad as CP/M-with-lipstick. Smeared.

New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #291319 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=291319|ICLRPD]
jb4
New Check above, jb (and Ashton).
I'm sorry I gave incorrect information for some fields. I think my edited post above has the correct information now.

Once you are able to connect, Add a Chat and fill out the fields as when you registered with the Jabber server. The "Room" is ziwt. The "Server" is conference.iwethey.org. The "Handle" is the username you used when you Registered the Jabber account. The "Password" is your Jabber password. The "Alias" is whatever you want to call yourself in more human-readable form. The "Group" is "Buddies" for me. Presumably you can rearrange your various Jabber accounts if you IM constantly.

HTH! Good luck, and sorry for the mistakes earlier.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who misses Unix "talk"...)
New No Problem
I'm there, and that's all that matters. Without your help, I'd have never gotten there. From my vantage point, no apologies are necessary. Happy IM-ing!
jb4
     Jabber @ iwethey.org is back on the air - (Yendor) - (14)
         Client Roundup - (pwhysall) - (13)
             FYI: GAIM deprecated - use Pidgin - (Steve Lowe) - (12)
                 Good catch, thanks -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Not all distros have caught up. - (static)
                 I'll use Pidgin...as soon as I can map into previous instr. - (jb4) - (9)
                     You're close. (Edited) - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         Maybe not close enough? - (jb4) - (7)
                             XMPP == Jabber -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (6)
                                 Thanks, man! - (jb4) - (5)
                                     Adventures in Pidgin - (jb4) - (4)
                                         (Glad to hear I'm not the only one who) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
                                         Check above, jb (and Ashton). - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             No Problem - (jb4)

Shock the monkey!
84 ms