IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New By Norm? Not "dissed" - just *mentioned*, AFAICS. Now, if...
...you mean any mention of "Big Brother" is by default (and implication and association) "dissing" the concept, then you might of course be right. (At least *I* would tend to agree with you...) But, as [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=2908|Norm said:]
That is how the Cyber-Cafe software works. [ . . . ] Hmmm, not sure if it can track what programs they run, sounds a lot like "Big Brother" to me.
That only was in the context of "Cyber-Cafe", as I understood him. The following paragraph, where he suggested the "manual Big Brother" method -- in the context of kids -- was... Just that, a separate paragraph.

(Oh well... He'll drop in shortly, I suspect, and then we ca ask him in person.)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New It sounds like "Big Brother"
I didn't exactly say that it was "Big Brother" rather that it sounded like a "Big Brother" type of program that watches what you do. One that can track what programs are run, what websites are visited, and what the user was doing at what time. Information like that can be used to help or hurt you, it depends on how it is used. In this case, it is used to see what the children are doing and if they did anything they shouldn't have been doing. Sort of like a parent watching them and taking notes. But an acutal parent may stop them from visiting an adult site, or playing "Quake III" if they are not allowed to.

I had been away due to a vacation last week, and I just have been catching up on the messages. This one was buried a few pages back. Sorry for the delay.

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

Should kids under 13 be allowed to use computers? - (brettj) - (45)
         Yes, but under limitations and being monitored - (orion) - (2)
             Sounds like a good start.. - (Ashton)
             Agree, but disagree - (wharris2)
         No. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
             Amen. - (Ashton)
             Yes. - (admin) - (1)
                 Fortunately.. always there will be the Exception(al). -NT - (Ashton)
             100% agree - (boxley)
             Should kids under 13 be allowed to read books? - (tseliot) - (20)
                 Several old authors agree - (mhuber) - (19)
                     You mean? - (Ashton) - (17)
                         Only if you read them - (mhuber) - (16)
                             Post of the Day! Congratulations!!! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Incidently, another had similar thoughts. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Silverstein! - (mhuber)
                             Bravo! - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                                 when you consider the attitudes of the correspondents - (boxley)
                                 Agreement, but question - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                     Definition of epic proportions: - (mhuber)
                                     Certainly not lots of bloodshed - (wharris2) - (5)
                                         sgt york? Rather tame by what actually happened. - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Wouldn't be beleivable. - (mhuber) - (2)
                                                 Here's the story - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                     No idea he had kept a diary - thanks. - (Ashton)
                                         "Tunes of Glory", "All Quiet on the Western Front" -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                             Homer translations - (GBert) - (2)
                                 Thanks - (mhuber) - (1)
                                     You're welcome -- enjoy! --!msg -NT - (GBert)
                     Clarification: - (mhuber)
         As opposed to what? - (mhuber) - (2)
             Well.. OK if ya want to be reasonable - (Ashton)
             Heh... - (CRConrad)
         Sure - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Kids links such as Linkasaurus - (brettj)
         How I'll handle my kids. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
             ..better encrypt, hide, mirror that log, then ;-) - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Simple: Router in a locked cabinet along with... - (inthane-chan)
             Sounds like the Cyber-Cafe method - (orion) - (7)
                 OhRyan: er.. they *need* a Big Brother.________Remember? -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Who "they" *needs* a BB - each'n'every guest at Cybercafe's? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                         Original topic was - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Ah, OK. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 Whether siderial or interruptus - BB was dissed - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     By Norm? Not "dissed" - just *mentioned*, AFAICS. Now, if... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         It sounds like "Big Brother" - (orion)

Better than an iron-shod boot to the head!
116 ms