IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New VMware IPO
[link|http://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/IPOpricing.html|Trading starts tomorrow morning. Priced at $29 to open.]
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New It's quite an interesting situation.
Per [link|http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?news_id=fto081320072048388904&referrer_id=yahoofinance|Financial Times], that 33 million shares is only 10% of the company for about $957M. EMC bought the whole company for $635M in 2004.

2.5% of VMware has already been sold to Intel and 1.6% to Cisco. I bet you they did not pay $29/share. Other than making a quick buck, it's interesting to me that Intel, a victim (because of reduced processor sales) of virtualization bought into VMware. EMC continues to own own the remaining 85.9% of VMware.

I can't believe all of VMware is worth $11 billion.

In full disclosure, I'm an EMC shareholder.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New It does seem like a "get cash quick" scheme.
Virtualization is becoming more important, but VMWare is getting a lot of competition in that space now. It does seem to be a pricey stock, but we'll see.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Heck, even Microsoft promisses something in a year.
Innovating again! :)
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New Wonder how they're gonna keep Linux from running...
...in their virtualized sandbox? I suspect that for Micros~1, virtualization means how to run 2 or more version of Vista on the same machine.

(First, get 16GB of RAM...)
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New vmware has decent penetration as for EMC
everyone uses them, no one likes them and a startup called 3par is aiming right at the dmx market. With 3par no fancy service contracts needed. Admins can fully provision and manage and they have true thin provisioning for just in time disk purchases. Blue Arc is aimed at the second tier storage.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New The first VMW trade on the NYSE was at $52/share.
Insane, but who am I to say.
Alex

New I had that good fortune with RH
Priced lower but afterhours trading (which I got into) took it to mid 40s by opening...and I had already earned 50%.

Bad part is I sold at about 90 thinking it had made its run...it had stayed in that neighborhood for 3 to 4 straight weeks.

It went to 240 after I sold.

Oops.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Taking profit is a "good thing". No one can call a top.
I have ridden stock prices up and then back down more often than I care to remember.
Alex

New MBALRPD: An implementation of non-trivial covariant returns
for non-varadic virtual functions."

I mean.. it really Does sound like the velocity of money (or an incantation to Cthulhu) ... now Doesn't it?

New Citrix countermove.
[link|http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/08/15/citrix-joins-the-virtual-mayhem.aspx|Motley Fool]:
Citrix Systems (Nasdaq: CTXS) has been watching its livelihood go up in smoke lately, as its remote administration solutions have run into a spirited challenge from virtualization software. EMC (NYSE: EMC) spinoff VMware (NYSE: VMW) and software giant Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) have made it easy to manage a once-sprawling data center on less hardware and with centralized administration platforms for scads of servers at a time.

Well, if you can't beat 'em, you better join 'em. Citrix just decided to buy privately held virtual server designer XenSource, to give the company a toehold in that new-wave management market. Xen is the virtual server of choice for Linux vendors like Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) and Novell (Nasdaq: NOVL), so Citrix is basically buying into a product with a built-in ecosystem for support and promotion, as well as an active open-source developer community.
Might be a "hail Mary pass".
Alex

VMware IPO - (bepatient) - (10)
         It's quite an interesting situation. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             It does seem like a "get cash quick" scheme. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Heck, even Microsoft promisses something in a year. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Wonder how they're gonna keep Linux from running... - (jb4)
             vmware has decent penetration as for EMC - (boxley)
         The first VMW trade on the NYSE was at $52/share. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             I had that good fortune with RH - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Taking profit is a "good thing". No one can call a top. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     MBALRPD: An implementation of non-trivial covariant returns - (Ashton)
         Citrix countermove. - (a6l6e6x)

Pain is merely nature's way of hurting you.
52 ms