IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 2 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NMD == waste of money.
The first nuke bound for the USA will prolly arrive in a backpack or suitcase.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New That and history has shown that defensive arms races
never work. Both World Wars involved defensive arms races...and the countries that relied on them both lost.
Stainless steel traps breed stainless steel rats.
New What would you have said in the 30s? 50s?
Was the atomic bomb a waste of money? (Heisenberg about single-handedly convinced the Nazis it was, and he should be canonized for that).

Was the space program a waste of money?

Airplanes?

Telephones?

Every new tech, every new system has always had someone saying exactly that. "Its a waste of money, it'll never work, why bother".

And giving up because a solitary bomb might be carried in, well, that's true enough. Are you going to talk the RN into stopping patrolling their bases, cause, after all, someone could walk up to the base, and detonate one, so it would be pointless?

So *in that case*, its pointless. But since, by definition, you don't know what case is about to come up.. be prepared for as much as you can.

Maybe intercepting ballistic missiles is almost impossible with other projectiles. (I don't think it is, but we'll see).

BTW, the RN *has* an excellent anti-missile system. (Seawolf?). The write ups on it I've seen all said to the effect of ~"If this were made and sold by the US, it would be standard equipment for every Western country".

Which leads me to believe that its not an impossible thing to do. And being prepared for one eventuality is a good thing.

Addison
New Question...

BTW, the RN *has* an excellent anti-missile system. (Seawolf?). The write ups on it I've seen all said to the effect of ~"If this were made and sold by the US, it would be standard equipment for every Western country".

This anti-missile system, protects the ship, right?

New Re: Question...
Sorry. Its not ballistic missile defense but a localized anti-missile defense. Ship, task force, etc. I think they've also now got a land-based version for base defense (which would be like the Patriot) (Which was cancelled by President Carter because it had the potential to be ABM) (In theory).

Addison
New The same Patriot missile system used in Desert Storm?
and which also had a success factor of 1% (or something like that)?
New The very same.
But DS wasn't a fair comparison... City defense wasn't what it was built for.

So I don't know how effective it was, or would have been. Personally, I thought it was rather ineffective. But its use in DS was political, without regard for its use.

(remember, it was *designed* as anti-aircraft, and is good enough to - sometimes - catch semi-ballistic missiles.)

Addison
     Shrub is singlehandedly undoing years of foriegn policy work - (inthane-chan) - (67)
         just spent a few hours revewing Potsdam - (boxley)
         Tom Tomorrow feels our pain - (Ashton) - (6)
             sumbitch outa be arrested for spying :) -NT - (boxley)
             On global warming - (drewk) - (4)
                 I'd read that too - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                     I'm looking for a reference - (drewk) - (2)
                         Here's a good quote from the report - (drewk) - (1)
                             There's More - (Steve Lowe)
         I dunno - (SpiceWare) - (12)
             I could understand it if... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Not quite - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                     In other words... - (jb4) - (1)
                         Of course - (Fearless Freep)
             Exactly why... - (Fearless Freep)
             NMD == waste of money. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                 That and history has shown that defensive arms races - (Simon_Jester)
                 What would you have said in the 30s? 50s? - (addison) - (4)
                     Question... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                         Re: Question... - (addison) - (2)
                             The same Patriot missile system used in Desert Storm? - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                 The very same. - (addison)
         Interesting points - (Fearless Freep)
         Is that bad? - (addison)
         Re: Shrub is singlehandedly undoing years of foriegn policy - (bepatient) - (43)
             OK.. but if the cold war is over: - (Ashton) - (42)
                 Re: OK.. but if the cold war is over: - (addison) - (20)
                     Priorities. - (Ashton) - (19)
                         Support Faith Based Missle Defense Systems. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                             Believe that's called, 'karma'___________________:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                             That's what we have now. - (addison) - (16)
                                 Exactly How Hard Do you think it is... - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                     Thanks, Mike - wouldn't have found that one. LRPD below: - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Eerier and eerier. LRPD speaks again: - (Ashton)
                                     Only one question - (wharris2) - (1)
                                         Also.. - (Fearless Freep)
                                     Pretty hard. - (addison) - (10)
                                         I more interesting in why this was mentioned after the test. - (Simon_Jester) - (9)
                                             Re: I more interesting in why this was mentioned after the t - (addison) - (8)
                                                 Actually it *IS* the same thing. - (Simon_Jester) - (7)
                                                     What I read... - (admin) - (6)
                                                         Scott, it's certainly possible. - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                             No, it shouldn't. - (addison) - (4)
                                                                 Certainly. - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                     Pot, Kettle, and Black. - (addison) - (2)
                                                                         Nope. Sorry. Not the same at all. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                             Fine. -NT - (addison)
                 ok now... - (bepatient) - (20)
                     Full agreement. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Ya got me there, partly. Smartass. - (Ashton) - (18)
                         Re: Ya got me there, partly. Smartass. - (bepatient) - (9)
                             So then: a suitable metric for er - (Ashton) - (8)
                                 I'm not sure what your point is. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                     The need for defense spending will end... - (a6l6e6x)
                                     Cold war 5.0 avge; 2000 3.9 = 20% reduction - (Ashton) - (5)
                                         Avg vs High vs Trend - (bepatient) - (4)
                                             Nice chart. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                 Well... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     These points are of course, debatable. Simply they aren't - (Ashton)
                                                 what price victory or defeat? - (boxley)
                         Not any more - (Fearless Freep) - (5)
                             Hmmm.. then what chimera are we using to replace it? -NT - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Nothing much - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                     That sounds relatively sane. But why so expensive still? - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         Simple, operational deployment costs more.... - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                             LRPD below explains! 'We have a moral imperative.' -NT - (Ashton)
                         Gotta wory 'bout France, ya know... *snicker* -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                             More than you know ;) - (bepatient)

Otherwise there are Deliverance theme parks.
224 ms