IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Reading for Content 101.
Your missive tries (wrongly) to suggest that the authors said that all this happened in 15 months. Check out the first sentence of the third paragraph:

"Three events accelerated the demise of American Democracy."

Note they did NOT say:

"Three events began the demise of American Democracy."

Now, I always admit when I'm wrong, so I'll have to admit that my choice of the phrase "Best Summary" is a little misleading. I should have said that it was "The Most Accurate Assessment of the Body Politic in the United States" that I've read in quite some time.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Feb. 20, 2002, 11:43:54 AM EST
New You did get my point though...
I would have liked the article a little more if there had been less of a "chicken little" tone to it. The frigging sky is falling, but it has been for quite some time. I get the feeling these guys are suffering from the simplistic notion that "if we scare the shit out of people by publishing a bunch of sensationalistic half-truths, maybe we can get a Democrat back in office and the world will be right again"... Which is total bullshit as well.

As far as the best assessment, that is quite a subjective measure and you are most certainly entitled to an opinion :-)

I'm just feeling a bit "froggy" lately. Whenever I read articles that are meant merely to inflame, it makes me a little angry that this is what it's come down to... If I were a conservative, I wouldn't have read past the first sentence, which is a shame, because a lot of the article is thought provoking and an interesting take on what's happening now. Conservatives need to be in the conversation now, just as always.

You can draw just as many flies with honey as with shit.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New I don't read them that way.
Your atributing them with implying "maybe we can get a Democrat back in office and the world will be right again" I think is a little disingenuous. What they wrote was "Equally complicit in this atrocity was the Democratic Party".

I don't see this as trolling. I posted it because as I read it I kept thinking, "At last, somebody has gotten something published that I've been thinking for the past 30 years."

No, I'd say this writing wasn't meant to inflame. I read it more as a lament.
bcnu,
Mikem
New Fair... Critics voice, take your choice...
I was criticizing the authors' choice of words in many of the examples I used. You are correct, I am taking some liberties and being disingenuous - putting words in the author's mouths. Not very good form on my part in that I am accusing the authors of playing fast and loose with language! I'm guilty.

I still feel this piece is quite biased but didn't mean to create a major ruckus about it.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
     Perhaps the Best Summary I've ever read. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
         ho hum :) - (boxley) - (4)
             Interesting notion that. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 ww2,korea,<62,63? - (boxley) - (2)
                     w/you qualification, I'll buy that ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     w/your qualification, I'll buy that ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         LMFAO... You trolling for something. - (screamer) - (4)
             Reading for Content 101. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 You did get my point though... - (screamer) - (2)
                     I don't read them that way. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         Fair... Critics voice, take your choice... - (screamer)
         Read as allegory - it's got legs. - (Ashton)

Nothing like the smell of Nadsat in the morning!
57 ms