IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More to add
First, firewall is disabled.

Doing some poking around on the Westell DSL modem/router I found that two computers have a status of Inactive. I cannot ping anyone internal from those computers. But one can reach the internet. The new one cannot reach the internet. The active computer, mine, can ping my servers and the printers, but not the other two computers. Westell provide DHCP. Westell will show the IP, MAC, host name, and status. Since Westell can get the MAC and HOST name, I know it is talking to the computers. But why can't the computers talk?

Called CenturyTel (ISP) and they were worthless. The tech was actually googling to get me some information. They were not aware that their modem provided routing and NAT.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New So I presume you've power cycled the Westell.
Of course I'd test by putting a Linksys router between my system and the Westell and see if my computers can communicate, but then I've got those sitting on the shelf here.

If it is the Westell, and I've had provider supplied routers go insane on me, the problem is convincing the provider, and that's not easy. Sometimes a factory reset will fix the problem, but you have to know the things default IP address and exactly how it was set up (and how to do the factory reset).

Another thing I'd do immediately is set my computers to static IP, restart them and see if they can communicate. I never use dhcp on small networks except for notebooks that are carried around because static makes testing much easier.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Good point on using a static IP.
I've had [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=284539|trouble with DHCP] on some of my boxes with Linux.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It may not provide that.
I know the router supplied to me by Vonage, fer example, has some features disabled.

Maybe dropping a 50 and getting a [link|http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1051384663529|named router] would be prudent.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     Help, I must be getting old - (jbrabeck) - (11)
         same subnet? - (boxley) - (4)
             Answers - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                 Maybe reboot? :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Many times. Next time with size 10 1/2. :-) -NT - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                         Same or mixed versions of doze? -NT - (bepatient)
         Is Windows firewall enabled? - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             More to add - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                 So I presume you've power cycled the Westell. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Good point on using a static IP. - (Another Scott)
                 It may not provide that. - (bepatient)
         Motherboard NIC was bad - (jbrabeck)

I'll give up my thesaurus when you pry it from my frigid, frosty, frozen, cadaverous, lifeless, stiff, defunct extremities.
54 ms