IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not that simple
The rise of Ron Paul makes that clear. Ron Paul is super hard right, except he is anti-war. And he has become the outsider's candidate.

The Republicans are between a rock and a hard place on Iraq and Bush. If they support either they loose support among the majority of the Republicans, because the general body of Republicans is anti-war and want a change from Bush at this point. But if they go against the war or Bush they anger a small party core that is pro-war at any cost. This group is small, but made up of party activists, money backers and other key party members. And it isn't something they can waffle or avoid, they have to be either pro-war or anti-war, either pro-Bush or anti-Bush.

This is exactly why no candidate is really popular on the Republican side. Nobody can satisfy both the party core and general body at the same time right now. Recent polls suggest that despite the number of candidates and debates, "none of the above" is still the most popular position among Republicans.

McCain has basically seen everything go wrong. Because his popularity was grounded in not following the party line, his sudden conversion to party loyalist has angered his fans. And the party loyalists remember his previous behavior and expect he will abandon the party line if elected.

Be pro-war, backing Bush and supporting conservative religion are all on this track. And all have crippled McCain but it is far too late for him to back track. At this point all he can do is keep his head low and hope the others crash.

Jay
New OT just checked ron paul website, he is a rightwingnut
not a libertarian at all.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New And this surprises you because...?
The Republicans stopped having even a passing resemblance to Libertarianism years ago. They are straight up religious/behaviouralist fascists now.
New because I have heard him described as a libertarian on radio
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New He ran for President as a Libertarian in 1988.
New Yes he did
but its sort of like Lieberman threatening to be an independent. Paul has some libertarian points of view...but there are some stark differences too.

Take these positions

B1. What is the libertarian position on abortion?

Most libertarians are strongly in favor of abortion rights (the Libertarian Party often shows up at pro-rights rallies with banners that say "We're Pro-Choice on Everything!"). Many libertarians are personally opposed to abortion, but reject governmental meddling in a decision that should be private between a woman and her physician. Most libertarians also oppose government funding of abortions, on the grounds that "pro-lifers" should not have to subsidize with their money behavior they consider to be murder.

B2. What is the libertarian position on minority, gay & women's rights?

Libertarians believe that every human being is entitled to equality before the law and fair treatment as an individual responsible for his or her own actions. We oppose racism, sexism, and sexual-preference bigotry, whether perpetrated by private individuals or (especially) by government. We reject racial discrimination, whether in its ugly traditional forms or in its newer guises as Affirmative Action quotas and "diversity" rules.

We recognize that there will always be bigotry and hatred in the world, just as there will always be fear and stupidity; but one cannot use laws to force understanding any more than one can use laws to force courage or intelligence. The only fair laws are those that never mention the words "black" or "white"; "man" or "woman"; "gay" or "straight". When people use bigotry as an excuse to commit force or fraud, it is the act itself which is the crime, and deserves punishment, not the motive behind it.

RP wants to legislate life at conception...clearly at odds with #1...though he couches his discussions in the lib ideals of "its none of the feds business".

And he is completely opposed to gay marriage and is rumored to have supported the push to a constitutional amendment.

Theres alot more...but easy to disprove RP as Libertarian. He really isn't even very close.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New They really only had one common platform item even then
which was small gov't.

Since the repo's can't continue on that front (instead opting to talk about fiscal responsibility and then screwing that up), they tried to appeal to lib's on the "personal responsibility" front.

Now they can't do that either..so you are correct...there isn't even a resemblance...except maybe if you ask about taxes...both parties will tell you to lower/eliminate them.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     you know when a repo is in trouble - (boxley) - (10)
         They're starting to recognize - (Simon_Jester) - (9)
             ...or the USA. -NT - (CRConrad)
             Not so, if Glenn Greenwald remains as sane as usual - - (Ashton) - (7)
                 Not that simple - (JayMehaffey) - (6)
                     OT just checked ron paul website, he is a rightwingnut - (boxley) - (5)
                         And this surprises you because...? - (jake123) - (4)
                             because I have heard him described as a libertarian on radio -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                 He ran for President as a Libertarian in 1988. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Yes he did - (bepatient)
                             They really only had one common platform item even then - (bepatient)

Remember... save the wax!
75 ms