IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sylvy Bird (our parakeet) died. :(
I have not been able to write this before now, and I'm having an awful time writing it even now, but I wanted to let you know that our beloved parakeet, Sylvester (Sylvy for short), had a heart attack on Saturday morning and I rushed him to the vet where they put him mercifully to sleep. He was 11 years old.

I really don't want to describe it any deeper at this time. I'm having a hard time staying together as it is. But suffice it to say that he was suffering, I saw it, I didn't have time to wait for John to get out of the shower, I had to go then, and I had to go alone.

I did okay, but it was a traumatizing experience for me, especially the trip to the vet, and we're only now trying to take things down and put things away in regard to him. Mom is coming over today to help me pack up the rest and put away his cage.

I know he wasn't a person, or anything, but I feel like I've been punched in the stomach, and every time I see a gap where something was or I see something of his, I feel punched again. The vet said we gave Sylvy a good life, inheriting him from Grandfather, and raising him, despite his attitude towards us at the start (believe me, he didn't like either of us much then.)

This is a huge loss to me and John, as we had made him part of our household, and considered him as our family. We appreciate any of your thoughts and prayers as we struggle to come to grips with this huge change in our household/family dynamic.

Thank you.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New after 11 years one does get attached to living things
My uncle adored his birds and felt much as you do when they passed. Condolences.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Condolences
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Condolences to you and John.
New Losing a pet is always hard.
Take what your vet said to heart, though...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Bummer
I've met parakeets with a better vocab than Shrub - and with charisma too. Hard for many bipeds to realize how much personality can cram into a tiny feathered critter.

(And as for that 'soul' thing - what's good for the fervid biped imagination is just as fine for the gander. Or smaller.)

But see - the fine bird doesn't have to go through all that atonement, manic-groveling BS which bipeds love to inflict on selves.. if that's any consolation.

Condolences.

New Condolences, Brenda.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Sorry to hear. Chin up.
-----------------------------------------
Atheism is a religion in the same sense that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
New Condolences, Brenda. :(
I know how you feel. My family had a parakeet we called Cheepie. He would fly across a room to land on horizontally extended index finger. He would say "Cheepie is a pretty bird!" Losing him hard on the whole family.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Sorry to hear that
When my cat goes, it's going to be hard.
New Thank you all for your condolences
It's still pretty hard, but I guess I'm coping. We put up some white storage cubes (they look cagelike), where his cage had been, and brought in some of our favorite stuffed parrots and cockatoos and 2 Lorikeets to put there. Some of them are Audubon birds and actually make bird sounds when squeezed, so that seems to be helping. We also have a silly Pete -Repeat- Parrot and we've been making him talk some too.

Today seems a little easier than yesterday but I was not alone today either, mom was here all day again and I was making graphics for her for VBS. Tomorrow John is off, and we were going to go to the zoo, but they are predicting serious storms, so we've changed plans and we're going to stay home and relax here instead.

So Thursday will be my first day alone all day without Sylvy. I was already pretty down about the church mess, and this hasn't helped it. But I'm trying to take a deep breath and take 1 day, or even 1 hour or 1 minute at a time.

Sylvy didn't talk, Grandfather never got a chance to teach him before he died, and once I got him, I had no idea HOW to train a parakeet. He kind of ruled us, so to speak, to some degree. But he did have very individual squawks and squeaks and chatters and I knew them all. Plus he had his own odd behaviors, like grabbing things on my desk like pens or pencils, and throwing them off on the floor. And he chewed anything in sight, so my dad built him his very own chewing gym with various wood things to chew on. He once chewed up the back of a railroad tie chair... I kid you not, and I never noticed what the little squirt was doing back there till he'd chewed it pretty good.

He was very unique, that's for sure. :)

Thanks again,

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl July 3, 2007, 10:29:26 PM EDT
     Sylvy Bird (our parakeet) died. :( - (Nightowl) - (10)
         after 11 years one does get attached to living things - (boxley) - (1)
             Condolences -NT - (bepatient)
         Condolences to you and John. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Losing a pet is always hard. - (imric)
         Bummer - (Ashton)
         Condolences, Brenda. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         Sorry to hear. Chin up. -NT - (Silverlock)
         Condolences, Brenda. :( - (a6l6e6x)
         Sorry to hear that - (jake123)
         Thank you all for your condolences - (Nightowl)

Without passion, there is only suckage.
71 ms