IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Floating IP and failover on windows NT and AD question
I have a question. If I have a Microsoft machine with 2 network interfaces and I want a single virtual IP to serve the application. What Microsoft product or service allows the virtual IP to move between 2 NIC's of a machine when a network problem occurs on one interface? In solaris we use IPMP in Linux its bonding. I remember back in the 90's Microsoft had wolfpack technology but that was winnt 3.5.1 and we failed over machines, not individual interfaces on the same machine.

an AD forest can handle 1200 domains max, how would one manage 26k domains using AD?

Only Microsoft solutions will be considered

thanx,
Bill

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New HA. Funneh guy teh funnehiest.
In any case, Windows(NT3.5-2K3) NIC failover is via a virtual NIC made from to 2 physical NICs.

Usually the methods I have seen are using both NICs (or more if you have them) in a Bonded Configuration, provided your switch can support it. That way you get more bandwidth availability (even if not the point) and failing of one NIC with the bonding will go into either degraded state or non-bonded state but still be connected. This depends on you NIC manufacturer.

Microsoft uses this kind of setup in the "cluster mode" much of the time, so it does work. I can't find any non-cluster specific setup.

It may appear that this is a built-in thing as well... you just have to configure the adapters with priority and seperate IPs and have them BOTH registered in DNS (Active Directory driven DNS that is)
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0  2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
Alternate Fingerprint: 09F9 1102 9D74  E35B D841 56C5 6356 88C0
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2
New sounds like something is getting its nose under the tent
may you go in beauty
     Floating IP and failover on windows NT and AD question - (boxley) - (2)
         HA. Funneh guy teh funnehiest. - (folkert) - (1)
             sounds like something is getting its nose under the tent -NT - (daemon)

POW, right through the window, 12 inches of steel!
51 ms