IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I remember the old ROI of 40k per 5 years
for having a PC on a desk. It was very interesting that in the opinion who the powers that be they folded in timewasting that would of happened anyway. Bob Lweis had a series of forums discussing their innacuracy. Pull up a PC and ask for the maintenence records along with that report and ask the powers that be for a reconciliation between the actual cost and the gartner.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New As I recall, it was $17k, per year.
Which was *about right*.

When we did the math, we came out with $22k, per year, per PC on our network.

Our bosses screamed because "Garter said it should only be $17k" so they cut out the help desk from the math, and got it dropped to $19k, and that was OK.

Bob Lweis had a series of forums discussing their innacuracy.

Bob had a lot of forums. Bob's columns were damn short on facts, and long on guesses.

I did the math. Gartner's math (using theoretical PCs, users, hardware, networks) was *in the ballpark*.

Pull up a PC and ask for the maintenence records along with that report and ask the powers that be for a reconciliation between the actual cost and the gartner.

Don't forget:
Hardware
Network (did you run a cable(s)
Admins
Techs
Help Desk
Network (internet connectivity? factor in that, too)
Routers/Switches
Software
Maintence contracts...

And yeah, it starts adding up.

Things have decreaased some, with more user literacy, and cheaper hardware. But I suspect, not by a lot.

Bob didn't want to add *all the costs*.

Sure, you *can* do it cheaper. Some places do. They have varying levels of success.

But enterprise level customers are still talking a big chunck of change, per year, for their PCs.

Addison
New And don't forget . . .
Procurement costs
Warranty hassles
Lost productivity (problem caused)
Insurance
Phone system usage
Shipping & Receiving
Accounting costs
Cost of money
Occupancy
Electricity
and a whole lot more.

Most people who say Gartner's figures are way too high have no idea how to identify and allocate costs. Companies that do have that ability generally confirm Gartner's figures.

Computers can be effective tools, but they are very expensive tools.
[link|www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Gartner reports - what is their accuracy rate? - (bluke) - (5)
         Gartner is highly skilled . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         I remember the old ROI of 40k per 5 years - (boxley) - (2)
             As I recall, it was $17k, per year. - (addison) - (1)
                 And don't forget . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         At my old job, we had Gartner in ONCE. - (Brandioch)

The universe is 98 percent hydrogen and helium... and I'm rather fond of the other 2 percent.
63 ms