IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ? same way it would on a winders network, datastreams
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Thankyou Mr Science
for the nonsensical answer.
Jeez box.

#1 - I have multiple files, some of which need different LP command lines to come from the correct bin.
#2 - The printer is available over the network to me, and to others.
#3 - Others include other servers or people's desktops.
#4 - Anyone can send something straight to the LP queue.

Note: All of this is theoretical. Our basic rules for using this particular device is it was bought for a purpose (me), and I get to control it. But the reality is it will be dramatically underused, so it would be a good thing if other people got to use it. Just not at the same time.

Also, I do NOT want to be the printer admin, which means the Windows admin will be in charge of the end-users using it via the Windows spooler, not me in charge of accessing it via a Samba->CUPs spooler. On the other hand, there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to allow the Windows server to "own" it, which would mean my Linux server would have to spool to the Windows box (ain't happening).

So, we got shared usage.

The memo already went out that the end users are resposible for making sure their stuff is really their stuff, and not intermixed.

But that doesn't stop me from at least thinking about how I would make everything play nicely together.

Is there a concept of issuing some type of command to a printer to lock it until I unlock, which would allow me to send multiple jobs?
New The only thing I can think of in your situation is...
force the use of "separator pages". Since you only have one output bin, I don't think there's any other default way.

I suppose you could write some sort of script to enable and disable "sharing" of the printer as needed (e.g. you'd disable sharing whenever you needed to use it), or during certain time periods of your choice, but I don't know how you would do that.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Who says I only have 1 output bin?
You solved it.

Thanks.

New maybe I am confused as to what the issue is
if you send a print job to the printer, it will not try to print a windows job at the same time. It will queue the job until yours is finished.
thanks,
Bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New yup, you are
'Sok

My "job" is really multiple jobs since unless I want to deal with low level Postscript/PCL programming, I gotta use the lp Inputslot option to pull specific paper for pieces of the job.

But it is no longer an issue, as Another pointed out, I simply needed to place my output in the non-default output tray.
New You could use Job Control codes.
But that would require learning some printer codes and there's no guarantee that CUPS isn't already using Job Control. And you've already figured out a solution, anyway. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Point me to a reference
So I have a better understanding of what you are suggesting.
Not that I'm gonna reinvent the wheel, now that I have a solution, but it sounds interesting.
New Here.
I'm out on the edge of my knowledge, remember. Printer Job Language docs can be downloaded from [link|http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl04568|here] (scroll down a bit).

My idea was that you identify all the elements of your print as belonging to the one 'job', but I haven't tried it so I don't know how possible PJL would make it.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Interesting
Thanks
     Ubuntu CUPS printer question - (crazy) - (13)
         Have you tried the web interface to configure it... - (folkert) - (12)
             Got it - (crazy) - (11)
                 New question on printer - (crazy) - (10)
                     ? same way it would on a winders network, datastreams -NT - (boxley) - (9)
                         Thankyou Mr Science - (crazy) - (8)
                             The only thing I can think of in your situation is... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Who says I only have 1 output bin? - (crazy)
                             maybe I am confused as to what the issue is - (boxley) - (5)
                                 yup, you are - (crazy) - (4)
                                     You could use Job Control codes. - (static) - (3)
                                         Point me to a reference - (crazy) - (2)
                                             Here. - (static) - (1)
                                                 Interesting - (crazy)

Here lies my beloved Zoë, my autumn flower, somewhat less attractive now she's all corpsified and gross…
64 ms