IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why? Why not?
I want to try new things to see if they will work. I hadn't planned on using enough rice to cause the bird to explode. Though that may be an Iron Chef dish at any time. Exploded Duck. Yumm.

What I was thinking of was using a fruit and rice combo as stuffing, apples, pears and cranberries with a quarter cup of rice. Or maybe an eighth cup. Or maybe just a palm full mixed with the fruit. It may be tricky but I think it should be doable. As long as the heat and moisture content are ok I don't see why it shouldn't work.
-----------------------------------------
Atheism is a religion in the same sense that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
New :-) I'll let you try it first.
New I hope to avoid avoidable mistakes.
I'm hoping Andrew will chime in with an authoritative essay on rice, its cooking traditions in different areas of the world, varieties available, varieties unavailable, and regional methods of prep.

Given all that, I'll still try it. Worst that can happen? Inedible stuffing. The duck will still please my palate I'm sure.
New Look at it this way . . .
The center of your stuffing won't reach 180°F until right at the end of roasting. Rice is generally steamed or boiled at 212°F for 10 to 15 minutes and there's plenty of water in the process. There's not going to be a lot of water inside your bird at any time, as is demonstrated by the survival of bread stuffings.

Personally, I wouldn't try it.

On the other hand raw rice is used in casseroles so if you made it as dressing rather than stuffing it should work.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus May 29, 2007, 10:04:07 PM EDT
New I don't need a crispy skin.
I wasn't thinking of cooking it at normal temp/times. More like 250 F for 5/6 hours, I think that would bring the center of the bird up to a high enough temp for long enough to cook the rice. As for the moisture aspect, with the right kind of fruit, that should also be covered (I also have a turkey baster, the interior can be doused as needed with drippings).

Cooked rice swells to about 3 times its dry size. Add juicy pears, tangy apples, maybe a peach. And citrus from cranberries. Keep the rice to minimum (1/4 - 1/8cup? 1/8th seems right). And just a bit of Vidalia onion. I know what dinner will be this seekend.
     Using rice to make stuffing - (Silverlock) - (9)
         Can I ask why you'd want to do that? - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Why? Why not? - (Silverlock) - (4)
                 :-) I'll let you try it first. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     I hope to avoid avoidable mistakes. - (Silverlock) - (2)
                         Look at it this way . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             I don't need a crispy skin. - (Silverlock)
         Update: Don't try this at home - (Silverlock) - (2)
             pixorstfu - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 My duck did not asplode. - (Silverlock)