IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NT4 disk accesses
I have an NT4 Workstation box running SP6a.

When it was running SP5, I downloaded the utility DMACHECK.EXE and enabled DMA on the IDE channels. Worked like a charm.

When I loaded SP6a, I used the version of the utility provided on the CD to see if all was well. It reports that DMA checking is enabled and in use.

BUT -- it's slow as syrup in Saskatchewan. Bringing up the System Monitor shows that every time it goes to the disk CPU utilization goes to 100%, even though nothing much is running (DOS COPY, for instance). Therefore, whatever DMACHECK says, it's running the IDE channels on I/O commands.

None of the hardware has changed. I don't know enough about the system in general to be able to diagnose it from, e.g. the "SCSI Devices" applet in Control Panel.

Any suggestions, anyone? This is an old, slow box, and I really do need it to be as sprightly as possible. [Yes, I know, I should get some real SCSI disk drives. You can be the one who tells the boss to shell out the shekels.]
Regards,
Ric
New Re: NT4 disk accesses
Well, I have seen some wide spread reports of Fragmentation taking on your performance problem... Even though NTFS is supposed to be the "fastest" way to address disks...*snicker*

Get a GOOD defragmenter (even Norton Systems Works would really do, using Speedisk)

You should see a TON-O-IMPROVEMENT.

I am guessing that the SP6a you just installed just fragmented the SCHNOTT out of the FS. Heck even Fresh installs of W2K are as much as 35% fragmented. NT4 never really checked. NT3.5x was assumed you had to defrag every so often.

Good luck.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Oddly enough
Disk fragmentation seems to hurt W2K a lot less than it does NT4.

I find that the best way to keep a machine in reasonable shape is to use the Systems Internals registry and pagefile defragmenter. Get it [link|http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml|here].

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
     NT4 disk accesses - (Ric Locke) - (2)
         Re: NT4 disk accesses - (folkert) - (1)
             Oddly enough - (pwhysall)

Hey, that's MY pie.
128 ms