IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Stainless steel pan stains
So we love the pans.

However.

Everytime something gets cooked, it leaves marks in the bottom of the pan that can't be scrubbed out. For example, my son cooked some pasta and nothing was burned, but it left little pasta-shaped marks on the bottom. Another pan has bean-shaped marks.

What is this, does it matter, and can it be removed with something?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New It's just residue. BonAmi should take care of it (I think).
I'm reasonably sure it's just food residue. A very mild cleanser like Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend should take care of it without damaging the metal.

That's just my guess though. With luck, Andrew will chime in.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Goodness you guys are fussy :)
Those "marks" are generally differences in mineralization on the surface. It happens to everything but stainless is reflective so you can actually see it.

I never worry about pasta marks, they're gone with the next use, but if you really, really want to get rid of them now, put some water in the pan with a big glug of distilled vinegar. Cover, heat to a simmer, turn off the heat and let sit for a bit - then wipe out the inside with a good kitchen cleanser.

You will notice pans in use eventually get a sort of dull mineral film on the inside so giving them the vinegar treatment every couple of months keeps them in good shape. If the mineralization builds up too much things may begin to stick to it.

There will be some tiny white spots that won't come out - those are cavitation pits at points where streams of bubbles form and collapse. Like those "scratches" they're microscopic in depth and cause no harm. Again it happens to everything but stainless is reflective so you can actually see it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Figured it was something like that.
We have fairly hard water here, too.

Consider it ignored. :-)

Thanks.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New get rid of yer glasses or eat out more
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     Stainless steel pan stains - (admin) - (4)
         It's just residue. BonAmi should take care of it (I think). - (Another Scott)
         Goodness you guys are fussy :) - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Figured it was something like that. - (admin)
         get rid of yer glasses or eat out more -NT - (boxley)

Sorry about the mass of technical details.
38 ms