IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No one has mentioned how it is unlikely the kernel will go
to GPL 3. There are a some clauses in it that Linus does not agree with.
New He's softened his views on later drafts. It's possible now.
[link|http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-6171300-7.html|News.com.com.com.com...] from March 28:

"I'm much happier with many parts of it. I think much of it reads better, and some of the worst horrors have been removed entirely," Torvalds said.

Torvalds was noncommittal about whether he might try to move the Linux kernel to GPL 3--a change that would require the permission not just of Torvalds but also of all other Linux kernel copyright holders. But he didn't rule it out.

"The current draft makes me think it's at least a possibility in theory, but whether it's practical and worth it is a totally different thing," he said. "Practically speaking, it would involve a lot of work to make sure everything relevant is GPLv3-compatible even if we decided that the GPL 3 is OK."

DRM remains a sticking point. The Free Software Foundation drafting the document wants to prohibit hardware companies such as TiVo from imposing restrictions on GPL software used in their products, but Torvalds believes that should be permitted.

"The 'we control not just the software, but also the hardware it runs on' parts still drive me up the wall because I think they are so fundamentally broken. But the new draft at least limits it to a much saner subset and makes it clearer too," Torvalds said.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
     If MS indemnifies one, it indemnifies all. - (Another Scott) - (13)
         No one has mentioned how it is unlikely the kernel will go - (crazy) - (1)
             He's softened his views on later drafts. It's possible now. - (Another Scott)
         Re: If MS indemnifies one, it indemnifies all. - (andread) - (10)
             The developers have to agree to the new license. - (admin) - (1)
                 "Supersedes" </CRC> -NT - (pwhysall)
             You can't downgrade a license. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                 But didn't MS become MS due to its lawyers? - (Another Scott)
                 Have I Got It Right? - (andread) - (2)
                     A copy of old code in your posession . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Thanks -NT - (andread)
                 Eh? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Double Eh? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Re: Double Eh? - (pwhysall)

Spyingwithdroids on sheep.
101 ms