IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Something I have always wanted to do
kick the crap out of the morons with a full cart in the express check out line.
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11273-2002Feb14.html|link]
thanx,
bill
Mike Doogan
"Then there's figure skating and ice dancing and snowboarding. The winners are all chosen by judges. That's not sports. That's politics. And curling? If curling is a sport, pork rinds are a health food."
New He's only half right.
The BOx gets a new .sig:
Mike Doogan
"Then there's figure skating and ice dancing and snowboarding. The winners are all chosen by judges. That's not sports. That's politics.
Yup, just like gymnastics and high-dive and shit in the Summer games (this *was* from a rant about the Winter Olympics, right?), those are... Eh, I would have said "a beauty contest", but his metaphor is even better!

(Though, ahem, it's perhaps more of a commentary on American [*cough*Presidential*cough*Election*cough*2000*cough*] politics, than on sports? :-)

And curling? If curling is a sport, pork rinds are a health food."
But that's bullshit. What's "not a sport" about curling???

That it's not the world's greatest explosion of physical exertion? Well, heck, at least they *do* move their asses, a bit... Look at archery and skeet shooting and ordinary target shooting (rifle and pistol both); they're even less physical -- and nobody is claiming *they* aren't sports!

Heck, curling seems to be about as physical as, say, golf. Perhaps you don't get as much of a walk (though I wouldn't discount that factor altogether; it's just that they walk the same little ice field back and forth, in stead of just once around some bucolic pasture-without-the-sheep), but at least they're hefting some real macho projectiles (What do those stones weigh, 19 kg must be somewhere over 40 pounds?) in stead of a wimpy little ball. And don't talk to me about a bag of clubs -- that's either in the golf cart (and there goes the nice little walk!), or on the shoulder of a caddie!

And curling sure isn't as utterly, mind-numbingly boring to see on TV, as is golf -- on the contrary, it can be quite exciting.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Re: He's only half right.
And curling sure isn't as utterly, mind-numbingly boring to see on TV, as is golf -- on the contrary, it can be quite exciting.

It's not utterly boring, no. But it's slow enough to have put me to sleep last night while watching it.
-YendorMike

Real programmers use "vi a.out".
New On your sig:
Real programmers gave up vi 20 years ago!
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
Expand Edited by jb4 Feb. 15, 2002, 02:33:26 PM EST
New For gvim
New No gotz
Not on my SPARC ultra.

Gotta be better than vi, tho ('cuz it cain't be any worser...)
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Get it
I've put it on HPUX and AIX; Sparc can't be any worse than AIX. :=)

[link|http://www.vim.org|www.vim.org].
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt, from his Recluse series
New completely right
if curling is a sport then fried porkrinds are a health food. a small scrap of pig hide
dropped into boiling lard where it explodes then dunked into a salty hot bbq sauce is healthy because of its high filler capability vs minimum caloric content makes it (marginally) a health food, as curling is (marginally) a sport.
thanx,
bill
Mike Doogan
"Then there's figure skating and ice dancing and snowboarding. The winners are all chosen by judges. That's not sports. That's politics. And curling? If curling is a sport, pork rinds are a health food."
New Re: He's only half right.
I would rate curling above golf as a sport. Even though I come from a curling nation I'm not much of a fan myself. I find it too boring to watch. Spurts of it can be good particulary towards the end of a set when each side only has a few rocks left and the strategy aspect comes out. Some planned shots are just amazing! There is direct head-to-head competition unlike golf where you're really not doing any battle against your competitor.

Besides how can you not like the screaming? :-) Hard! HARD! HAAAAAAAAARD!!
lister
New Let's start our own games
The Real Games, with stuff that are real sports:

Professional Wrestling, none of that sissy Olympic Style wrestling. Throw in some chairs, kendo sticks, barbed wire, trashcans, etc. Make a Hardcore match the standard. Make sure that you get Refs that don't pay attention, and look the other way when one person cheats.

Paintball, yes do it, make paintball a real sport event! Nothing says you are a pro than when you have the welts from the paintballs to prove it!

Drinking contests, see if you can drink the other guy/gal under the table.

Real US/Canadian Hockey, with lots of fights, blood, and lots of bodychecks. Allow people to throw squids and stuff on the ice.

US Football, well not NFL style, but more of a XFL style. Rough and tough, rock'em sock'em, hard hitting Football that is also a bit like Rugby.

Any others you can think of, Box?

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Professional Wrestling has similarities with pair skating
Except for the pair skating it was the judges, not the participants, that had a script to follow.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New a point I have made many times
Why not pro wrestling as an olympic event, judged by a panel of 3 knowledgeable members
based on skill, athletic effort, style and panache just like figureskating and more interesting to watch.
thanx,
bill
Mike Doogan
New Trouble with that proposal
is that the medals would have to be full pectorals, 40cm. across or better, with lots of gaudy bits.

Not sure the IOC could stand the culture shock.
Regards,
Ric
New naw, the already got an Olympic gold medal winner
heavy weight wrestling in the WWF they look gaudy enough as it is.
thanx,
bill
"I'm selling a hammer," he says. "They can beat nails with it, or their dog."
Richard Eaton spy software innovator
     Something I have always wanted to do - (boxley) - (13)
         He's only half right. - (CRConrad) - (7)
             Re: He's only half right. - (Yendor) - (4)
                 On your sig: - (jb4) - (3)
                     For gvim -NT - (broomberg) - (2)
                         No gotz - (jb4) - (1)
                             Get it - (wharris2)
             completely right - (boxley)
             Re: He's only half right. - (lister)
         Let's start our own games - (nking) - (4)
             Professional Wrestling has similarities with pair skating - (Meerkat) - (3)
                 a point I have made many times - (boxley) - (2)
                     Trouble with that proposal - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                         naw, the already got an Olympic gold medal winner - (boxley)

Filtering out the sesame seeds.
93 ms