IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New something else done on mothers day
I am not myself a Christian— I have certain doctrinal differences with practically all the denominations (the Unitarians perhaps alone excepted) beginning with my disbelief in both the divine origin and the posthumous career of Jesus—and if this was a bad career move I am resigned to dealing with it in the sweet bye-and-bye-and-bye-and-bye (insert infinity glyph here). I am, however, married to a woman who attends church weekly, and from time to time I join her in helping out with some of their social events and outreach programs. These to date have involved almost exclusively kitchen work, as in their dinners for the homeless (I should mention here that I supported myself washing dishes in college in the early 1970s, so I have a professional expertise to draw upon here) and, this past weekend, their annual Mothers' Day event, for which, beginning at seven Sunday morning, I turned sixty hardboiled eggs into about 105 "deviled eggs" (there were a few casualties en route).

By early afternoon, after eggs, sandwich assembly, and running up and downstairs to replenish the various platters, I was feeling fairly tuckered, and looked forward to returning home for a mid-day nap, but a complication was introduced. A digression is necessary here.

At some point in the past year a youngster, now newly twelve, has adopted the congregation as a surrogate family. My wife first told me about him perhaps a month ago—the actual (divorced) parents are each for their own reasons (not fully understood by onlookers) somewhat disengaged, and the pastor and his wife have taken the boy under their wing recently, so that he has become accustomed to spending Sunday afternoons at their nearby home. Apparently this suits the father just fine, because he likes to spend his weekends at the golf course.

A couple of weeks ago I sent the spouse to church with a copy of Richard Halliburton's Book of Marvels for the boy, who was about to celebrate a birthday. Most of you might not be old enough to remember Richard Halliburton (no relation, so far as I can tell, to the firm of well-connected brigands at present looting the treasury), an amateur adventurer born in 1900 (disappeared in mid-Pacific 39 years later), but his two "Books of Marvels," composed for young readers, were still beloved of their target audience when I was ten, and I thought that the kid might enjoy my old copy.

On Mothers' Day the boy was observed moping because it was also the pastor's birthday, and his grown children had arranged to take him to a ballgame. This left the tyke at loose ends, and my wife, a generous soul, suggested that we should entertain him for the afternoon. We decided to take him to the [link|http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/coolthings/parks/Tilden/steamtrains.html|Tilden Park Steam Trains], and this was in the event very well received (he liked the t-shirt and the engineer's cap as well). We then headed off for a late lunch which, owing to sundry crowds, miscalculations and eventual poor service, kept us out until nearly six, when we returned the boy to his home—his father was still not back from the golf course.

I wish I could say that I enjoyed the afternoon more than I did. I feel sorry for the tyke, and he's a likable character: none of the faux-toughness that has settled on many a boy by that time (even at a like point in my own development in 1964), and a real sweetness and openness. On the other hand—and I wish I were a better person than this—he's not exactly stimulating company. I do better with adolescents, once they're past the violently antisocial phase (this lasts forever in some, I know), and Lina and I have had excellent interludes with assorted nephews and nieces as the "hip" (in the highly comparative sense that flatters us only given the proximity of the actual parents with all the history, responsibility and baggage appertaining thereunto) grownup relatives. This one, though, exists on the other side of that divide. He's lonely and he needs *love*, not the wry irony that I can usefully provide a mid-teen. The father is about seven years my junior, and L, who caught sight of him once, describes him as a "biker." The mother, we suspect, has, ah, "substance issues." I feel simultaneously an odd burgeoning responsibility and a resentment of a father who's more than happy to pass off his duties of paternal companionship to strangers so that his sunday golf game is unencumbered.

I don't know what I'm going to do about this, but it seems useful to think aloud.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Is there an echo in this room?
I remember well.. the, \ufffds/he's not exactly stimulating company.

At one point a friend was involved with Huckleberry House - a SF org dedicated to providing some sort of soft landing for the flocks of kiddies .. left all illegible and disillusioned, having arrived too late for Flower Power (and having stayed-on into the cynical exploitation of yout stage.)

They were full-up and there was this waif - What To Do with her, temporarily.

I ended up, for a week or so - providing bed & sustenance (and a few clothes) for a 16 yo female, sans parents anywhere. (Faded into dimness is ~~ maybe the mother was dead; the father, one of that large variety of feckless disconnected pikers which we mass-produce - but that's a vague guess, now.)

My 'goal' was (it eventually dawned.. and her name Was Dawn) - to somehow try to keep her from ~ fleeing to LA, still all illegible - and perhaps making her way on her back: apparently about the only hormone/skillz combo that her somewhat attenuated imagination might fixate upon.

Tried to offer her the non-BS version of, "all that good shit you could sorta prep for - one day at a time", poco \ufffd poco. (Some of that even appeared to link up with a few grey cells - but ya never Know..)

Having regular commitments to electron trajectories and other things, I had to leave her on her own more than I thought wise - but recurrent theme was: there's fucking-little about which we might converse. This, whereas the obverse: a kid with a scintilla of Curiosity (and some semblance of a working curiosity-processor) - can be a joy to be around; in that case, any 'play' is also teaching/learning; no agenda is needed. And they don't need to know who Proust might have been.

Sorry, no advice on your 12 yo. I don't know if it's a matter of impatience? sloth? - whereby I could not manufacture sustained Interest - it's easy/cliche - to blame that on the 'raw materials at hand'. Yet certain saintly folk manage to evoke something from every tyke. Well, almost every.

I conclude that, the fault lies within ourselves and not within our stars, to coin a .. (After Dawn had gotten into Huckleberry for a spell, I saw her one more time before she left; she was about to be 'enroute to LA' on nonspecific quest. Some distant 'family' - - maybe.)

And lifted my medium-grade Mont Blanc writing implement, 'as memento' (she later admitted, in a brief note) leaving in its place a ball-point. I thought - WTF; if she will fucking learn to Use It! - my work is complete.
Y'know?

It's a Puzzlement.

Expand Edited by Ashton May 15, 2007, 07:33:56 AM EDT
New boring is good, give him a rake and set him in the yard
dont bother trying to entertain him as much as let him hang with you.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New +5, Insightful.
You have it, Box.

Rand, the kid needs to see you being you. He's not really looking for 'entertainment'. Without quite knowing what is happening, he wants a role model different from his own father. Oddly enough, that last weekend where the pastor's family was unavailable was good for him. As was what you did for him in return.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

what to do on mothers day - (boxley) - (7)
         Got to sleep a bit - (bepatient)
         Set up a v-chat with my mom - (tjsinclair)
         Form piece of Romex cable into short snake - (Ashton)
         something else done on mothers day - (rcareaga) - (3)
             Is there an echo in this room? - (Ashton)
             boring is good, give him a rake and set him in the yard - (boxley) - (1)
                 +5, Insightful. - (static)

We'll be back after a word from our sponsor.
70 ms