IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Uhhh, BeeP? Those vinyl disks were 12" in diameter...
How quickly one forgets...
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New Oh really?
only [link|http://musicinterfaces.com/2007/01/08/vinyl-singles-making-a-comeback-in-britain/|12 inch? Wonder what this thing is.]

You bought albums when you saved. You bought singles with bottle return money. :-)
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New EPs don't count.
The "industry's" first attempt at ripping us off! To the dustbin of history with it, and the horse it rode in on!
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New Its called a "single".
They made juke boxes to play them.

Shaggy had a radio show for years...counting them down.
New OK, so I'm eyeball-measurement-challenged
I alwasy thought those things were ...how shall I say it...smaller. But size doesn't matter, right?!?
jb4
New Besides, all mine had bigger holes!
jb4
New dupe
Expand Edited by bepatient May 15, 2007, 11:50:18 PM EDT
New *cough* I have several 10" LPs from 'the day'.

New And what day was that?
I didn't know that a 78 was considered an LP. YMMV, of course; you're the only one here that's older that me...
jb4
New Nope, I once had a couple 10" LPs.
There weren't a lot made because you couldn't play them on changers, but for a little while there were some, 1960 thru 1965 probably.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Whose?
(i.e. which artists?)

Enquiring minds want to know...
jb4
New They were classical.
I think that's what most of the 10 inchers were used for. One was Ravel I believe, but I don't remember for sure.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Right - 10" mostly classical
And 'semi' - if that's where the trumpet virtuoso Rafael Mendez would be categorized (for most of his original compositions.) Still have a couple of his 10" and some 45s -- all since reissued on CD. Also Stan Kenton 'Innovations in Modern Music' Tour - with Maynard Ferguson, Shelley Manne, June Christy et al - may have had a 10" entry. Certainly not All was classical.

A lot happened along the way from shellac 78s!

And.. changers could sense dia, even down to 7" 45s - with that extra sensor that looked like a small tone-arm. This was so, in early '50s re 10"/12". When 45s came out, the changer mfgs. adapted too - as one would expect. There was even a 16 rpm setting on some devices -- allegedly for certain radio transcription discs, usually played on a manual TT at a radio station. I never saw one of those.

Yes - people had to actually rise from the couch to do these things - but then, they were healthier and could still use their legs.

If you put the 12" on bottom of a stack, then 10" (and 7") - all operation was auto.
IIRC there were even a few which sensed at platter level; you could then intermix (but you'd have to switch speed to 45, if those were included in mix.)

Possibly a few 7" LPs were made, likely to exploit the high-end quality of 33.3 manual players (superior TT quality and also expensive pickup/stylus) for demos. I don't recall ever seeing one of these; certainly 7" 33.3 was never mass market.

And yes - some 78 rpm 'microgrooves' were made on vinyl - for all obv physics of higher freq. response, better S/N - for the golden ears. Early preamps contained up to a dozen phono equalization curves, several ideas for sound compensation at low levels (Bauxendall / 'loudness' curves.) Need yan - for the 78s. But then, (some) people did that too - to achieve better fidelity.

In brief, always there was lots more to the best audio reproduction than - 'bass/treble' (even with variable turnover points for those, too.) And all that processing began in the vacuum tube era. (Many of the high-end examples command monstrous prices today.) Just check in at eBay for 'Marantz' and certain 'Mc Intosh' models == the very reason the 'Macintosh' Bowdlerization was required of Steve-baby: \ufffd

Le plus sa change..

New UK Indie scene used to put out 10 inchers, too
Popular for EPs.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
[image|http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/pwhysall/Misc/saveus.png|0|Darwinia||]
     Digital Wrongs. - (folkert) - (33)
         funny I have spent more money on music in - (boxley) - (32)
             I am one of those soured customers - (bepatient) - (31)
                 OT what did you think of the subject of my emails - (boxley) - (1)
                     cda files didn't come - (bepatient)
                 Re: I am one of those soured customers - (jake123) - (3)
                     I disagree - (bepatient) - (2)
                         The thing is - (jake123)
                         And good riddance to bad rubbish! -NT - (jb4)
                 Re: I am one of those soured customers - (andread) - (10)
                     Convienience, I'll bet. -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                         ???? -NT - (andread) - (8)
                             It takes time to burn one's own MP3s. -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                 Yes and No - (andread) - (6)
                                     He's got 2000 albums... -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                         Vinyl is a PITA to rip -NT - (bepatient) - (4)
                                             true -NT - (andread)
                                             Amen! - (jb4)
                                             There are some new "really good" USB Turntables being - (folkert) - (1)
                                                 My sister has an ION - (bepatient)
                 Uhhh, BeeP? Those vinyl disks were 12" in diameter... - (jb4) - (13)
                     Oh really? - (bepatient) - (5)
                         EPs don't count. - (jb4) - (4)
                             Its called a "single". - (bepatient) - (2)
                                 OK, so I'm eyeball-measurement-challenged - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Besides, all mine had bigger holes! -NT - (jb4)
                             dupe -NT - (bepatient)
                     *cough* I have several 10" LPs from 'the day'. -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                         And what day was that? - (jb4) - (5)
                             Nope, I once had a couple 10" LPs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                 Whose? - (jb4) - (1)
                                     They were classical. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Right - 10" mostly classical - (Ashton)
                                 UK Indie scene used to put out 10 inchers, too - (pwhysall)

LRPD Who Must Be Obeyed.
91 ms