IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This topic may be a golden example of why it is that,
logic (alone) is never enough ? (OK - as close to a golden example as can be.. 'logically deduced'? ;-)

I'd rather run with your sententious 1-line sonnet, Welcome to 2002. May I introduce you to the concept of the "database"?

Voila! precisamente and all that: and the Heart of my periodic fulminations about this so-called Information Age, which I insist is neither more nor less than YAN..

..of an endless series of human follies, so aptly summarized by Bertie Russell.

..a near-prototype of our infinite capacity for EZ oversimplification of just about every complex situation we encounter

..ie It's another Black Tulip Craze. Period. {sigh}

Anyway, I think the author 'feels' the built-in contradictions, kinda gets a gnawing sense that all our cute principles contain always the Reverse as well as the Obverse: of some nice idea we wish would 'settle things'.

Now when the topic is really a meta-topic, ~ Information about Information (gathering? dissemination? security? access? ____?) Well, we can see where involution and recursion leave us: as far from [Truth] as usually we Are.

Prediction [!] We shall see voluminous scholarly, pedantic, folksy, wishy-washy and surgically-keen.. essays next,

as we-

trod inexorably-

down this-

slippery Path: of trying to keep the checks&balances just slightly ahead... of the malevolently greed-besotted folks who will use Any technology ---> in pursuit of Ayn-Randish Ideals (or by any Other fav name). Be sure also to intermix theological Certainties of all those Possessors of Revealed Truth: to confound our extrication from the morass, the chasm which:

I think I see Yawning like the event-horizon's periodic emissions nearby.. the Unviewable Black-Hole that draws us ---> in.

Of Course I can envision no 'solution' next, any more than Bertie could. He chose to illustrate what-we-always-do, via a squiggly line-drawing of opposing armies hacking.. away at each other. I can't improve upon his brevity.

Ashton
it's.. all.. happening.. in..

s l o w

m o t i o n.

time for some Dickie Wagner, I think.
New The weird thing is........
Yes, we'll see numerous "experts" on this subject.

But I think that the old experts are still the best.

Just because we can see it happening DOES NOT mean we have to accept it.
     David Brin on eroding privacy, and watching the watchers - (marlowe) - (5)
         Time to emulate the silver surfer(not the comic) - (boxley)
         There's a good idea I haven't seen before - (drewk)
         Several disagreements with that article. - (Brandioch) - (2)
             This topic may be a golden example of why it is that, - (Ashton) - (1)
                 The weird thing is........ - (Brandioch)

TURN THE COMPUTER OFF COMPLETELY WHEN YOU ARE WORKING MAGIC.
44 ms