IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, what's a thrust arm in normal terms?
I haven't had much luck looking it up online.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New It holds the bitumogeneous spandrels. HTH!
New Isnt' that what holds the havershaft to the giggleclamp?
New No, that is the kininomer bearing pin, giggleclamps require
4 or 6 of them. It depends on the havershaft twist, being righthand adjustable or lefthand fixed.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Now just quit that out, the lot of you!
It' too late at night for all this technical confabulation, dammit!
jb4
"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment."
George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war (Newsweek, 26 Feb 07)
New I'd have to say it
Same thing as a panhard bar.

Except since you independent suspension, it isn't quite a panhard bar. Panhard bars are made to keep a full axle in place with limited side to side movement.

Now for something like independent suspension, you need something like a "Watts" link. Except live part of the Watts system are on the outer parts vs the the center.

Though, there are other pieces it could be. One possibility being the "single end" of the wishbone. When I was doing sprint car racing a few (dam 10) years back the single eyelet end of the wishbone was called the "thrust end", because it was the piece that actually thrusted the front solid axle forward, that was the only connection to the solid axle to move it forward, hence the "thrust" link.

So, given that it would have caused the front end to scrape on the pavement, I am thinking the second explanation.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New Something like this?
[link|http://www.tooladdiction.com/tool_for_bmw.htm|http://www.tooladdic.../tool_for_bmw.htm]
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Reverse Watts Link it is, then. Hmmm.
Also functioning as a lower control arm. To which the wishbone looks like it is connected to.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert May 2, 2007, 12:05:30 PM EDT
New My current understanding is this:
The thrust arm governs the position of the vertical wheel plane (perpendicular to the axle). So had this gone, the wheel would have been wobbling back and forth like a drunken sailor.

Not pavement diving, but still very hard to control.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New That is what a reverse watts link does...
It operates as a "lower control arm" when used in independent suspension.

But then, I am speaking from /dev/ass as I have never really^W looked at the A8 suspension.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New The "position of the vertical wheel plane"? Yeah, in the...
...fore-and-aft direction, to be precise -- the vertical is also "perpendicular to the axle", but that is handled by the springy bits of the suspension. :-)

Like Greg says in the great-grandparent post to yours, "thrust" implies that it's pretty much parallell to the long axis of the car, to transmit the fore-and-aft forces from the drivetrain and brakes. (And I *think* that's what it looks like in those BMW pics you found.)

That's a "multi-link" suspension, the even-newer development from the "double wishbone" suspension, where one or both (usually just the lower, I think) of the A-arms has been replaced by two or more separate simple rod-shape arms; kind of like picking the "A"- or "wishbone"-shaped arm apart into two: A -> /\\ .

So it seems your A8 has multi-link, not actual double A-arms.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New Yup . . .
. . they use a "multi-link" design because regular A-arms take too much dedicated space. With multi-link they can squeeze more stuff into a smaller space, and the tortured shapes of all those components demonstrate they're squeezing every cubic inch they can get.

Oh, pardon me . . . they would be squeezing "cubic centimeters" over there, wouldn't they?
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus May 2, 2007, 05:39:37 PM EDT
New Jawohl.
And every one they save, they squeeze into the engine instead, you know.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
     Beware the Aussie invasion... - (static) - (60)
         What's in Pittsburgh? -NT - (admin) - (3)
             It's a train stop. - (static) - (1)
                 Don't bother - (drewk)
             The Penguins. ;) - (Nightowl)
         Cool. I am going to the Beep Bash this year. - (folkert) - (53)
             Huh? Don't Lancers have back seats or what? (Just wondering) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 More like a shelf -NT - (crazy)
             I'm driving the Audi this year. - (admin) - (39)
                 you wont need the trunk until you are at the bash -NT - (boxley)
                 Dang, I'd almost come just for the ride... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Then come for the ride *and* the party! -NT - (admin)
                 Don't even THINK... - (bepatient) - (32)
                     Are you kidding me? - (admin) - (31)
                         ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                         BT + Scott's Audi == Serious case of... - (Yendor)
                         He is Tillaay! Destroyer of Vehicles! ;-) -NT - (n3jja)
                         Well, the torsion bar... - (folkert) - (7)
                             It was more than that. - (admin) - (6)
                                 That sounds more like an A-arm . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     And.. and the Question is - - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         rubber wears loose, the pounding shakes it apart. -NT - (boxley)
                                 Then they don't have the bump-stops properly - (folkert) - (2)
                                     Moot discussion now, sorry. :-) - (admin) - (1)
                                         Ehh, ranting. Its what I do. - (folkert)
                         You sure it's a torsion bar? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Thrust arm, sorry. -NT - (admin)
                         I don't think the A8 has torsion suspension. - (CRConrad)
                         My bad; faulty memory. - (admin) - (16)
                             Makes MUCH more sense. - (folkert) - (15)
                                 So, what's a thrust arm in normal terms? - (admin) - (12)
                                     It holds the bitumogeneous spandrels. HTH! -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Isnt' that what holds the havershaft to the giggleclamp? -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                             No, that is the kininomer bearing pin, giggleclamps require - (folkert) - (1)
                                                 Now just quit that out, the lot of you! - (jb4)
                                     I'd have to say it - (folkert) - (7)
                                         Something like this? - (admin) - (6)
                                             Reverse Watts Link it is, then. Hmmm. - (folkert) - (5)
                                                 My current understanding is this: - (admin) - (4)
                                                     That is what a reverse watts link does... - (folkert)
                                                     The "position of the vertical wheel plane"? Yeah, in the... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         Yup . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             Jawohl. - (CRConrad)
                                 That's a very different "wishbone". - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Yep, schooled I am. -NT - (folkert)
                 Then the next question is... - (folkert) - (2)
                     6 disc changer - (admin) - (1)
                         Mkay. - (folkert)
             Don't know - (Lily) - (9)
                 bring the kids, mine are agitating already - (boxley) - (8)
                     It's looking like I will - (Lily) - (4)
                         Are you going to see a band? - (admin) - (3)
                             And do you know anything that rhymes with ... - (drewk) - (2)
                                 dunno about the camero but plenty of the other stuff - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: dunno about the camero but plenty of the other stuff - (admin)
                     Plans are set - (Lily) - (2)
                         wel add myy 12yo to the pack, sad about amy n critter :-( -NT - (boxley)
                         Cool! - (static)
             Of course -NT - (drewk)
         Awww man - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             Driving from TN isn't *THAT* far to NJ... - (folkert)

Plumbing is not coding. There is no concept of rolling back the previously saved version of the house.
251 ms