IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, the torsion bar...
being disconnected would have just cause the one side to go down to the "bumper stops".

Just like the old Valiants used to do. Mmmm, interesting corollary there, donchyathunk?

And you are STILL going to drive it to New Jersey, where it is daytime all the time due to the "natural" glow from all the super-sites.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New It was more than that.
I might have the term wrong... at any rate it was a piece that would cause the nose end to go diving down into the concrete and the car to veer wildly out of control.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New That sounds more like an A-arm . . .
. . but those critters are usually attached extremely securely, because if one of those lets loose the nose end will dive into the concrete and the car will veer wildly out of control.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New And.. and the Question is - -
H. T. F. do you get something like that Coming Loose! on a 'modern' vehicle? allegedly built where they have discovered 'torque wrenches' (and lock-washers (usually, bent-over lock-tabs.))

Sheesh.. YPTB

Teutonic

New rubber wears loose, the pounding shakes it apart.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Then they don't have the bump-stops properly
spec'd and manufactured. Design defect and should be recalled immediately.

I am sorry, but any suspension component that is a "spring" in literally *ANY* stock "Murican" automobile has a feature that when the spring bustifies... the suspension is still sound but is severely wonky as far as stance.

This should include torsion bar suspension in the old Valiants and should your A8, since it has to abide by US regulations in regard to basic safety. ANY spring can self-destruct and therefore the regulations exist to keep these things from making the vehicle's axle, etc from failing to do the basic work, though badly compromised on "quality" of work.

Now, if indeed, a failing ball-joint has been ignored, it would have had Severe Problems with steering drifting, sudden (drastic) shifts in direction when driving over things like Rail Road tracks and many sounds when driving at slow speed. This ball-joint failure would have caused a nosed dive into the concrete. Though, I doubt your persnickety senses would not have missed the horrible tracking the steering would have done.

So, in summary, the US has regulations regarding spring that all stock vehicles must adhere to when sold in the US from Dealerships locate inside the US. It is true that while your car would have looked like a "pimped out" A8 with hydraulics, it would have still been drivable if the Torsion bar spring had sheared or "let go". Unless the Ball Joint (or both) had failed, to which the suspension has been completely compromised, you would have been able to safely, but uncomfortably, drive to your $100/hr Audi Service Center.

Yes, this rant about "scaring" people into authorizing work to be done is a common trait in "higher end" vehicle manufacturer, but also has been seen across the board. Its a pet peeve of mine, though I guess I have a lot of Pet Peeves.

Including this sequence of hex numbers:
Zero 9 Eff 9 One 1 Zero 2 Nine D Seven 4 Eee 3 Five B Dee 8 Four 1 Five 6 Cee 5 Six 3 Five 6 Eight 8 Cee 0
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New Moot discussion now, sorry. :-)
And it definitely needed replacing. Loud clankings and such are typically indicative of badness, not joyness. :-)

These guys don't use scare tactics to get work... I had them look at the brakes and was told "they're fine, you won't need to do anything for another 15K miles at least". Brakes would have been a perfect opportunity to get mo' money from me.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Ehh, ranting. Its what I do.
And see my other post on the other message.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
     Beware the Aussie invasion... - (static) - (60)
         What's in Pittsburgh? -NT - (admin) - (3)
             It's a train stop. - (static) - (1)
                 Don't bother - (drewk)
             The Penguins. ;) - (Nightowl)
         Cool. I am going to the Beep Bash this year. - (folkert) - (53)
             Huh? Don't Lancers have back seats or what? (Just wondering) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 More like a shelf -NT - (crazy)
             I'm driving the Audi this year. - (admin) - (39)
                 you wont need the trunk until you are at the bash -NT - (boxley)
                 Dang, I'd almost come just for the ride... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Then come for the ride *and* the party! -NT - (admin)
                 Don't even THINK... - (bepatient) - (32)
                     Are you kidding me? - (admin) - (31)
                         ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                         BT + Scott's Audi == Serious case of... - (Yendor)
                         He is Tillaay! Destroyer of Vehicles! ;-) -NT - (n3jja)
                         Well, the torsion bar... - (folkert) - (7)
                             It was more than that. - (admin) - (6)
                                 That sounds more like an A-arm . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     And.. and the Question is - - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         rubber wears loose, the pounding shakes it apart. -NT - (boxley)
                                 Then they don't have the bump-stops properly - (folkert) - (2)
                                     Moot discussion now, sorry. :-) - (admin) - (1)
                                         Ehh, ranting. Its what I do. - (folkert)
                         You sure it's a torsion bar? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Thrust arm, sorry. -NT - (admin)
                         I don't think the A8 has torsion suspension. - (CRConrad)
                         My bad; faulty memory. - (admin) - (16)
                             Makes MUCH more sense. - (folkert) - (15)
                                 So, what's a thrust arm in normal terms? - (admin) - (12)
                                     It holds the bitumogeneous spandrels. HTH! -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Isnt' that what holds the havershaft to the giggleclamp? -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                             No, that is the kininomer bearing pin, giggleclamps require - (folkert) - (1)
                                                 Now just quit that out, the lot of you! - (jb4)
                                     I'd have to say it - (folkert) - (7)
                                         Something like this? - (admin) - (6)
                                             Reverse Watts Link it is, then. Hmmm. - (folkert) - (5)
                                                 My current understanding is this: - (admin) - (4)
                                                     That is what a reverse watts link does... - (folkert)
                                                     The "position of the vertical wheel plane"? Yeah, in the... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         Yup . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             Jawohl. - (CRConrad)
                                 That's a very different "wishbone". - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Yep, schooled I am. -NT - (folkert)
                 Then the next question is... - (folkert) - (2)
                     6 disc changer - (admin) - (1)
                         Mkay. - (folkert)
             Don't know - (Lily) - (9)
                 bring the kids, mine are agitating already - (boxley) - (8)
                     It's looking like I will - (Lily) - (4)
                         Are you going to see a band? - (admin) - (3)
                             And do you know anything that rhymes with ... - (drewk) - (2)
                                 dunno about the camero but plenty of the other stuff - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: dunno about the camero but plenty of the other stuff - (admin)
                     Plans are set - (Lily) - (2)
                         wel add myy 12yo to the pack, sad about amy n critter :-( -NT - (boxley)
                         Cool! - (static)
             Of course -NT - (drewk)
         Awww man - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             Driving from TN isn't *THAT* far to NJ... - (folkert)

ONE THE MACHINE!
159 ms