IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New debian question
I download postal_0.66_i386.deb dinking around I find ar -x postal_0.66_i386.deb gives me a control.gz data.gz. So how do I actually get the beast installed?
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Oooo, I know this one!
dpkg -i postal_0.66_i386.deb
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New thanks!
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New arrgghh. /me frustrated
I have mepis installed on local disk. How do I get to a straight debian install from here? Packages wont install and the dependencies puke as well. the pkg tzdata_2007d-1_all.deb for example ives the following error
dpkg -i tzdata_2007d-1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 73376 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking tzdata (from tzdata_2007d-1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing tzdata_2007d-1_all.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/zoneinfo/NZ', which is also in package locales
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
might just go back to solving my pthread problems on solaris
thanx,
bill

New First boot into Mephis...
Then mount your disk the way it would be for a chroot. You know "/" is mounted on "/target", "/boot" on "/target/boot", "/usr" on "/target/usr", etc...

then run "debootstrap" with the proper switches (Mephis has debootstrap).

Then once installed, "chroot /target /bin/bash" and continue installing base from there. Once you do the base plus a few (like openssh-server, a kernel, grub... etc), exit from the chroot and then do grub-install --root-directory=/target /dev/<bootdevice>. Where bootdevice should be something like /dev/hd(a-j) or /dev/sd(a-j)

then setup a nice stanza for grub to boot from and then finish up from there.

And, Debian testing and unstable just went pthreads only. No longer supporting non-pthread (or Linux Threads as they call it). Libc 2.4 and after eliminated it.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New will give it a shot tomorrow

debian question - (boxley) - (5)
         Oooo, I know this one! - (cwbrenn) - (1)
             thanks! -NT - (boxley)
         arrgghh. /me frustrated - (boxley) - (2)
             First boot into Mephis... - (folkert) - (1)
                 will give it a shot tomorrow -NT - (boxley)

We either do it ourselves, or nobody does.
58 ms