IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wow, we have lost our civility.
No defense of Norm here (well maybe only a little), but there were literally dozens of better posts on which to start your hopes of non-existence.

At least in the reference post to this he stayed relatively on subject, gave a decent (though well known) opinion on economic drivers of terrorism and included no "woe is me and my life" commentary.

You don't beat the cat when it actually >does< use the litter box, do you?

Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New I was so proud of myself for staying out of this
I made a pact with myself not to get tangled up in these postings because it's pointless and counterproductive. And I wasnt around when the Norm shit storm hit, so it is really none of my business.

You people befuddle me.

First, Norm, I cant understand why you are so drawn to this group, when every time you make an appearance you are blasted to smithereens. Why do you keep putting up with this shit? What kind of reinforcement are you getting that keeps bringing you back? The average person, after being treated this way, would get tired of the abuse and go find someone else to play with. Why is this group of people so important to you? You know what kind of reaction you're going to get from this group and you keep coming back for more. It's irrational and self destructive. I'm not your therapist. I dont know your diagnosis, I dont know your meds or history. I dont care. I dont care about your past. I dont care if your psychotic or suicidal. But when I see someone acting the way you do, continually creating problems for yourself, well, it makes me want to slap you. I can understand everyone's frustration with you because you invite this kind of response.

Now everyone else- You're acting just as irrational. If you want something to go away, and you KNOW that taunts and abuse only serve to reinforce the behavior (not diminish it) why, oh why do you continue doing more of the same? isn't that Einstein's definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? You guys are just as caught up in this crap as Norm is.
The same twisty, sick cycle, over and over again.
New And you were doing SO well !
Until now.

My point was simple, if you go back to the reference that started this..it was a post that did not contain one single >I<. That is a reference behavior to be positively reinforced. (should one care to interact at all)

As to the rest...your guess is as good as mine. I don't play in those sandboxes.
New Hey, we know what works
because we've done it before. The trick is not minding, and therefore never answering him. It's called the silent treatment, and it worked a treat last time. I indulged once, but I've kept out of it since then... except to make this very same point.

Folks, if we don't want him here (and I pretty much don't; the shit he pulled on Owl alone is reason enough, let alone his online behaviour), we gotta stop responding to him.

Lily, having known Norm in an online way for quite a few years now, I'd call it borderline personality disorder... but I'm not a doctor. OTOH, I've read about sociopathy a fair bit and the shoe fits... it's just fortunate that he's not way way off the scope and not hugely competent along with it, and therefore ends up being less than functional instead of a monster. That didn't stop him from being able to really screw with Owl for quite a few months, though.

Seriously, guys, it's shit or get off the pot; if we don't want him here, ALL OF US need to stop responding to him.
New At least I learned how to stop that ;)
...That didn't stop him from being able to really screw with Owl for quite a few months, though.

I am happy to state that I've been Norm-free for quite some time now, both online and off.

I have to agree with everyone else... don't encourage him, don't reply, and you get your power back. Every response just makes him stronger.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl April 19, 2007, 02:13:48 AM EDT
New Some people don't deserve any.
As to why Rand happened to choose the post he chose, I'd guess that it just happened to be the nth content-free stream of unconsciousness he stumbled over that day, and it became the straw that broke his humpback.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New I liken it to parenting...or training your dog ;-)
Punish the bad behavior, reward the good.
New Right! Cattle prods and m&ms

I4 NOW!

Impeach, Indict, Incarcerate, Inject
Bush, Cheney, Gonzalez, Rumsfeld, Rove, Rice
New Re: Wow, we have lost our civility.
Bill patiently wonders "You don't beat the cat when it actually >does< use the litter box, do you?"

I'm actually quite tenderhearted about most pets, but if I had a cat as poorly adjusted as, you know, whatsisface, it would have been placed none too-gently in the carrier and taken on a one-way trip to the veterinarian a long time ago. Come to that, such a creature might have rated only a rock, a burlap sack and a drive to the Oakland Estuary.

Seriously, after his extended periods away one grew accustomed to the Silence of the Lame. Norm reminds me of "Mr. Stinky," an alcoholic derelict (in better days a regular contributor to the old Byte magazine) who haunted McHenry Library at UC Santa Cruz during the first years of my brother's tenure there. Mr. Stinky was filthy, belligerent, incontinent, mad. The library actually had to discard several chairs after prolonged contact with Stinky's shit-soaked trousers. He was an unwelcome regular there for a couple of years (the University piously declining to take action against him—although I suspect that had he been loitering in, say, the Chancellor's anteroom they might have taken action sooner) until he actually assaulted a student, whereupon a CYA restraining order was swifly obtained and enforced.

Norman King, AKA orion, AKA about three dozen other transparent sock puppets in the course of his long and dishonorable time here, is to the IWT experience what Mr. Stinky was to the McHenry Library experience back in the day. His participation adds nothing of value and it leaves the uphostery soiled and reeking.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Won't argue this. Don't disagree.

New Then stop poking the fate bear.
It's obvious he doesn't pay attention to your repeated impassioned pleas for cessation of contact. Perhaps you had better look up the definition to insanity yourself...

I, for one, will continue my process of ignoring his posts. Given that there is no legal context for us to bar him, and he has proven to be completely incapable of taking a hint, that's the only real weapon I have left.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New You said it beautifully, Thane
It's obvious he doesn't pay attention to your repeated impassioned pleas for cessation of contact...

The only way to achieve cessation of contact is by your own cessation of contact and response where he is concerned. He will not grant it, you have to choose it.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New So JerryP's whack; but I never thought it would get THAT bad
New I should have said "occasional" contributor
...and I also should have said "upholstery," although the typo was in its way apt. The Byte guy's name was Tallo (Ernst or Ernest, I seem to recall, but the Googacle yields nothing), and he made his way in the world as a tech writer (and published at least one book) before repeated applications of the Universal Personality Solvent yielded the results my sib reported.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
     Every topic you comment upon... - (rcareaga) - (16)
         Agreed -NT - (crazy) - (1)
             Doubly so. - (folkert)
         Wow, we have lost our civility. - (bepatient) - (13)
             I was so proud of myself for staying out of this - (Lily) - (3)
                 And you were doing SO well ! - (bepatient)
                 Hey, we know what works - (jake123) - (1)
                     At least I learned how to stop that ;) - (Nightowl)
             Some people don't deserve any. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 I liken it to parenting...or training your dog ;-) - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Right! Cattle prods and m&ms -NT - (tuberculosis)
             Re: Wow, we have lost our civility. - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 Won't argue this. Don't disagree. - (bepatient)
                 Then stop poking the fate bear. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     You said it beautifully, Thane - (Nightowl)
                 So JerryP's whack; but I never thought it would get THAT bad -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     I should have said "occasional" contributor - (rcareaga)

They're behind the couch.
132 ms