IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is Microsoft partly responsible for the economic problems?
Question: How much venture capital has dried up for tech entrepreuneurs because Microsoft will likely squash anyone who dares compete with them?

Microsoft tends to claim that they are driving the economy. I contend that their monopoly abuses have helped to drive the economy lower while stifling innovation in the software industry. IMO, if Microsoft is allowed to release XP with all the commingled apps then innovation, venture capital and the economy will all suffer even more than they have already.
New Yes. (Hey, ask a simple question, get a simple answer.)
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New This commentary agrees with you 101%)
... it it makes it look like I plaguerized him.
(in actuality I just ran across it 5 minutes again so I can blame it on the 100th monkey phenomenon.)
[link|http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/12097.html|
Ayn Rand Comes Full Circle - at Microsoft]
Contributed by Tom Nadeau
osOpinion.com
July 19, 2001

When Microsoft executives dictate that a rival product must die, they rig their operating system code to disable the rival product's access to vital operating system functions.

The socioeconomic theory that Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) claims to espouse is similar to Ayn Rand's implementation of "Objectivism" -- the idea that individual thought and creativity ought to be rewarded and unrestricted.

However, Microsoft has brought this theory full circle. What was once considered noble and heroic has become oppressive and contemptible, even corrupt.
This is what Microsoft realizes. Its greatest fear is not government regulation or breakup, but rather the "danger" that the superior technologies like Unix, Linux, OS/2 Warp, BeOS and Novell will someday obliterate Microsoft's pitiful, botched products from the marketplace.

So the slick characters at the company's top decided to play the victim's role, pretending that the government was "out to get them." In reality, the illegal monopolists were out to prevent progress and innovation from "getting them."

Bitter Truth

The harsh, cold reality? Microsoft's illegal monopoly has ruined more great products, impoverished more genius innovators, and sponsored more smear campaigns than all the governments since the beginning of time.

And the governments cannot realistically be counted on to properly punish the convicted felons (the Sherman Antitrust Act calls convicted monopolists felons) at Microsoft, because Microsoft products have become a huge cancerous growth in the infrastructure of government agencies.
Preventing superior alternatives from accessing capital, distribution, and media attention is not only practiced by oppressive governments, but by oppressive totalitarian commercial regimes as well.
New duh, energy prices climb 40% and someone claims
software to blame,
drilll the fscking arctic so I can go home!
thanx, :)
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New So you are saying the economy is unrelated to software?!
... and that it is oil prices that have put the economy and stock market in the dumps?

Maybe drilling the artic will solve all our problems, eh?

Who needs software anyway. It's oil that runs companies.
New well several years of <$12 per barrell
produced the best economy of the 20ieth century. Oil shot up in the waning year of the Clinton Presidency to $28+ per barrel and the economy faltered. Oil stayed at these highs and the economy tanked. Oil is now $26 dollars per gallon and the economy is sputtering along, hmm coincidink? Or is it the software? interesting is that money capture by oil and gas spending due to high prices is almost the same figure that went into the stock market via 401k's. Stocks down. Name one industry except the software internet business that is NOT affected by the price of oil/gas. Not much I guess.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Did low oil prices cause the boom in the economy?
Or was technology and the internet more of a determining factor?

If you recall, I never suggested that oil didn't have an influence on the downturn. I merely suggested that a certain abusive monopolist may have caused venture capital to dry up for start-ups, etc because Microsoft was onced again a threat to dominate all competitors. For example, they choked off Netscape's air supply while their .net vaporware started causing people to think that Microsoft would rule the internet the way they dominate the OS market, the suites market, the browser market, etc....
Plus everyone figured Microsoft would win on appeal with a Republican in the white house.

Venture Capital may not return to the high tech sector in full force until Microsoft is put on a short leash.

In summary, software is just a part of the new economy but to discount it's effect is silly, if you asked me.
New didnt discount it just pointed out that money
that was being used for other things is now being spent on energy.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New Your initial comment suggests you were discounting software
(or were you merely stating that you think I am naive?)
I been called worse so I guess I ought not to take offense, eh?

"duh, energy prices climb 40% and someone claims software to blame.
drilll the fscking arctic so I can go home!"
New Some oil, sure
Myself, I put about 60-75% of the blame on the dot.com boom/bust.. When the stock market tanks, it's got to have some effect on the economy.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Contrariwise...
has it not been the business model of a number of companies to develop something and then get purchased by MS?
qts
New Yes, but . .
It worked for awhile, but then Microsoft showed a greater and greater tendency to just take stuff, which made a bad risk even worse for the VCs.
[link|www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New There was even a Simpsons episode
in which Homer started an Internet company and Bill Gates offered to buy him out. But when Homer agreed, Bill's thugs just trashed the living room office.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Thanks.
I was going to make that reply but I couldn't find the right words.
Plus I was surprised that more people did not disagree with my initial hypothesis. The idea came to me in a flash while taking a shower. (which is where I get many of my best ideas.)
New Actually - global warming
Official Report
Institute for BS Studies

Never has so much BS emanated from one central point on the earth's surface. The convection currents from Redmond, combined with eddies from their remote gas emitters have altered not merely the bizness climate but - worse than all the cattle farts in the McBurger eaters abattoirs -

Is the acid-rain from finely-spread wet techno-BS. PHB investigations indicate that Alzheimers is traceable to similar chemical effects. People have developed a taste for fresh BS daily.

See references to this study, below. Unless we forget them.

Official Report
Institute for BS Studies

Is Microsoft partly responsible for the economic problems? - (brettj) - (14)
         Yes. (Hey, ask a simple question, get a simple answer.) -NT - (drewk) - (8)
             This commentary agrees with you 101%) - (brettj)
             duh, energy prices climb 40% and someone claims - (boxley) - (6)
                 So you are saying the economy is unrelated to software?! - (brettj) - (4)
                     well several years of <$12 per barrell - (boxley) - (3)
                         Did low oil prices cause the boom in the economy? - (brettj) - (2)
                             didnt discount it just pointed out that money - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Your initial comment suggests you were discounting software - (brettj)
                 Some oil, sure - (wharris2)
         Contrariwise... - (qstephens) - (3)
             Yes, but . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 There was even a Simpsons episode - (mhuber)
                 Thanks. - (brettj)
         Actually - global warming - (Ashton)

Has anyone seen the bridge?
110 ms