IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Muahah.
Was reading a post today where someone - a Fedora fan - said that you would have to be an idiot to upgrade versions without wiping the partition clean and restoring.

Poor bastich.

I decided on reading that to go from Edgy to Feisty.

Changed the sources.list - by replacing all instances of 'edgy' with feisty.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Badda bing! Badda boom!

Feisty. No problems.

I LOVE apt.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Been doing that forever...
Except I've been doing Debian unstable (sid).

Of course you know that.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Yup. Still love apt, though.
Ya gotta love a truly great tool!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New I tried doing that from Dapper -> Edgy...
I even waited till Edgy was officially released...

Badda bing! Badda boom! Broken system...
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Really?
But... I succeeded with that, too...

:-(

Imric's Tips for Living

New Look at who it is.
Chris Wright.

He tempts fate with Ubersoft. He has a terrible time making things works right... Ubersoft. Things always seem to just not go his way... Ubersoft.

The Boss is not pleased.

Next thing you know, Ubersoft will discover it is a comic and then the Boss will be doubly pissed. He might even resurrect some older hated characters to bridge the gap and try to make sure "Nifty Doorways" makes it to the *REAL* world.

You just wait and watch... Help Desk will get a support call or something from the "real" world, trying to update the "site" to a new CMS or something like that, that doesn't run on ND.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New *chuckle*

Imric's Tips for Living

New But computers LOVE me.

... no they don't.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New The BOSS... is never pleased.
Unless he makes someone miserable.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New But did you wait the extra week?
When I updated to Dapper, I waited a week and a half after the release date for the new bugs to settle. Turned out to be a good idea - two colleagues upgraded the day after release and suffered broken systems for a day or two.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

Expand Edited by static March 28, 2007, 12:45:12 AM EDT
New Well... Yeah.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Question?
Don't you have to do an apt-get dist-upgrade? Or is just update and upgrade sufficient and/or safer?
New There is a HUGE difference. (plus an Ubuntu complaint)
apt-get upgrade only does "simple" upgrade, not requiring removal or addition of software packages. This *WILL NOT* take you from "Edgy to Feisty". This should not "break" things.

apt-get dist-upgrade does removal and addition of software to transition to a new distribution. This *WILL* take you from "Edgy to Feisty". This could "break" things.

Now, understand, Ubuntu releases based on time, buggy or not. This is my problem with Ubuntu. I understand Debian releases with bugs as well. There is a difference in release quality as well.

Ubuntu does the "deadline thing". It makes, sometimes, foolish choices about a RC bugs. It hurts when upgrades happen. It hurts when a few squeaky minority complain loudly and make life hell on the forums and MLs. They don't follow the prescribed methods... they have 3rd party *UBUNTU VERSION SPECIFIC* applications that break upon upgrade from dist to dist. Backports hurt many times, response is dismal, it hurts things. They want the problems with 3rd party stuff fixed on the release date.

Debian, has many of the same problems, 3rd party apps are a bane as well. But since Debian has a HUGE repository and many of the apps that are "3rd party" in Ubuntu, in Debian are buildd-built in the Debian archive, relieving much of the pressure. If you understand *WHY* this is a huge difference, then you understand why I use Debian.

Yes, I have Ubuntu on the machine in the living room, mainly I don't use it. They wife and daughter don't "have the time or patience" to deal with things that need massaging. Currently media playing on that machine is broken due to a security update. Mplayer is bustified, totem-gstreamer is also bustified. All due to codecs issues. But since 7.04 is so close, it hasn't been fixed for a while. Yes, I've done the work arounds... but being that I use an EMU10K1 sound card in that machine... it's bustified.

My Debian machine isn't bustified. I did have an issue with the stuff being broken for about 3 days. Not anymore.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New ICLRPD. (new thread)
Created as new thread #280109 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=280109|ICLRPD.]
New Got it.
I did that for Dapper -> Edgy and it crunched my grub. Now the grub screen looks like my video card is shot and is barely readable and it immediately boots into linux. Since I haven't had any need or desire to get to the Windows partition in the last few months, it hasn't been a big deal, but I'm worried about wrecking it further.

Thanks Greg,
Hugh
New edit...
/boot/grub/menu.lst

Take a look at lines

# kopt=root=/dev/hde2 ro vga=blah

or

# defoptions=vga=blah

remove the vga=blah in one (should be in defoptions) but if in both remove both.

then run "update-grub"

That should get you back to a readable screen.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New Hmmm... No vga in either of them.
They did reference a UUID which was one of the changes going into edgy. I'm thinking that I might steer it back /dev/hdb1 and see if that helps. I think I can use a Knoppix disk to copy the original back if it really savages me. Since this is elective surgery, I'm not going to try until I have to restart the bugger again.

Thanks again, Greg, for the help,
Hugh
New Greg has a good response.
I can just add one or two things: Whilst I haven't done an Edgy->Feisty nor even a Dapper->Edgy, I did do Breezy->Dapper and before that a Hoary->Breezy (on a different box). I found it useful to do an apt-get upgrade, then an apt-get dist-upgrade and then an apt-get upgrade. Just be warned that after the first upgrade you will have an apparantly broken system, but the dist-upgrade will fix that. And anything it subqesuently breaks, the second upgrade will fix. It seems there is something a little funky with sorting out all the dependancies in such a big upgrade and things can get missed.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

· my ·

New My choice in packages must be really fortuitous
Cuz I didn't need to do that. PHEW!

Been playing with Beryl on Feisty - I'm impressed with the speed - got all the toys installed, and it runs fine. No visible performance decrease, and I'm on an AMD 1800 with 768 ram, and an NVidia 5600 w/256m.

Imric's Tips for Living

New I should have said 'may' rather than 'will'.
As in, 'after the first upgrade you *may* have an apparantly broken system' instead of 'after the first upgrade you *will* have an apparantly broken system'.

:-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

· my ·

New Re: Greg has a good response.
This box has gone Hoary>Breezy>Dapper>Edgy with nary a complaint - and I'm betting it'll go Feisty with the same smoothy goodness.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Yeah, but you aren't bat-shiite crazy with packages!
There are many that just "search and do" the first thing that comes up... later to find out that the reason it came up was because of complaints about the "package or process".

I've now fixed about 20 Ubuntu "screw-ups" from former RedHatters/Fedorians that R&R all the time, but bitch and moan when problems occur on transitional problems without re-install.

I show them the ways to fix the issues and all of a sudden lights go off above their heads, very visibly. Most are getting the ideas about being smarter in packaging selections and using the better ways of getting what they want. Rather than doing an alien conversion of RedHat v9 packages and forcing them on to Ubuntu 6.10, because that is all they could find, dude. Never once thinking to look at universe or multiverse or even debian or debian-multimedia types of thing.

edit:
One other thing, a machine I have here is upgraded from Potato to Woody to Sarge, soon to be Etch. I see no reason to "re-install" it. Though the 8.4GB boot drive is starting to hum really bad. I might transfer it to a new (as in vacuum packing from RMA-ville) 40GB drive.

I also have (the machine I am typing on) a continuous Sid rolling update, so basically I get to do 400+ packages a week during non-freeze times. Of course, during the freeze about 15-50 packages a day are from experimental... I also am tracking the "experimental" kernel builds.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert April 1, 2007, 12:19:35 PM EDT
     Muahah. - (imric) - (21)
         Been doing that forever... - (folkert) - (1)
             Yup. Still love apt, though. - (imric)
         I tried doing that from Dapper -> Edgy... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
             Really? - (imric) - (4)
                 Look at who it is. - (folkert) - (3)
                     *chuckle* -NT - (imric) - (2)
                         But computers LOVE me. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                             The BOSS... is never pleased. - (folkert)
             But did you wait the extra week? - (static) - (1)
                 Well... Yeah. -NT - (imric)
         Question? - (hnick) - (10)
             There is a HUGE difference. (plus an Ubuntu complaint) - (folkert) - (4)
                 ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                 Got it. - (hnick) - (2)
                     edit... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Hmmm... No vga in either of them. - (hnick)
             Greg has a good response. - (static) - (4)
                 My choice in packages must be really fortuitous - (imric) - (1)
                     I should have said 'may' rather than 'will'. - (static)
                 Re: Greg has a good response. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     Yeah, but you aren't bat-shiite crazy with packages! - (folkert)

If your role can be replaced by Keanu Reeves miming walking into a non-existent wall, then you probably need to go back to waiting tables at the Ground Round--make that the homeless shelter.
149 ms