IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Thank you.
1) Your Dell won't boot Linux. Was it sold to be a Linux box? Does MS own Dell? Since Dell sells Windows, it could make sense to them to optimize their units to run Windows better. Obviously, not all PCs do this. I have installed Linux on HP, Compaq and IBM without BIOS issues. Maybe you have a bit of MS paranoia.

2) There could be a wide variety of reasons why I want to keep my present job that have nothing to with MS (or my "damaging" you in some way).

we could probably do this forever but neither one of us are likely to change

as far as the moral or ethical issues, if you see them as important you should act on them. MS has been ruled against in the big anti-trust case of a few years back. So if illegal activity by a monopoly is a key issue, then so be it.
Others felt the same way before the trial. Some believe that MS kills people, etc.

my father was a chemical engineer in the pharmaceutical industry. the company he worked for was found to have violated anti-trust laws at least once while he was with them. if anyone told me that made him an immoral or unethcial person, even though I probably wouldn't do it, I would want to punch them in the face

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Microsoft cntinues the Monopolistic actions
Daily, here in the US and abroad...

The EU for example is staring M$ down vs. the USDOJ blinking.

And since Microsoft does the "We require people and companies respect our Intellectual Property" thing... Why do they then blatantly not respect other people's and/or company's IP?

This can be seen by the sheer number of lawsuits Microsoft deals with annually, dealing with them because they just using other people's intellectual property (down with OPIP), only when they are forced to pay for the "licensing" do they actually respect OPIP.

Microsoft as a whole company is not ethical anymore. Sure many people that work there are doing the job they feel is right, many are even exceptionally ethical. But the people in charge of "destiny" at the company as a while are not making sound decisions for the company and the sales force to use.

Trust me, the Sales force is starting the "Well, we will have to check with our numbers and maybe have to do a comprehensive audit to make sure you comply". Even though a large company about 500 yards from me has all the auditing software fully approved by M$. They presented the numbers and are paying "extra fees" for IP Protection and assurance.

Don't tell me this is a company that is growing due to additional uptake, this is a company that is starting its death-throws. It doesn't have a chance to really do anything but, buy, buy, buy companies, coerce its customers and become a litigation and "deal" making company. The litigation and deal making is already happening against a foe it can not comprehend.

The one thing I have to say to you:
You actually depend on Microsoft for your lively-hood? Truly and really?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Re: Microsoft continues the Monopolistic actions
you wrote:

You actually depend on Microsoft for your lively-hood? Truly and really?

The company I work for uses mostly MS stuff, they do pay me so that makes the answer to your question yes

except that the company got along fine before it used MS and if the decision is made to drop MS (not likely, imo, but I don't have a say) the company will still be here

all our major data is in Oracle running on Sun
so no hyper-paranoid MS lock-in could keep us from our data

all spreadsheets and text documents would survive the end of MS

if a few PowerPoint or Publisher docs were lost, who would really care
once Office 2007 is rolled out, they will all become PDFs if they are important anyway

we all know that MS is the largest s/w company in the world so why the surprise that someone or some organization is using MS

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
New Interesting

my father was a chemical engineer in the pharmaceutical industry. the company he worked for was found to have violated anti-trust laws at least once while he was with them. if anyone told me that made him an immoral or unethcial person, even though I probably wouldn't do it, I would want to punch them in the face

So he worked for a company that was CONVICTED (you said "found") of violating the law. And rather address the issue directly (hmm, "maybe there is a problem here") you would instead want to punch the person who said this.

Yup, your choice of professional and willful avoidance of the facts surrounding it is making more and more sense.
New Re: Interesting
your post made no sense

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
New To you, yes
New No, in general
You incorrectly combine two things which are separate
I said that I would take exception to anyone who said that my father lacked integrity just because his employer was found to have violated the law

These are 2 separate things:
the company's status
my father's integrity

look at the post from folkert in this thread
he acknowledges that good people may work at MS

A

Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
New Ahh, but you put up a wall
Without any possibility that your father might have been part of the crew that made the decisions that trigger the sanctions.

I accept it is very unlikely, but without knowing the specifics, possible.

You on the other hand responded with possible violence at the mere suggestion.

Yes, some good people work for MS.
Yes, some good people work for drug companies. I'd be in deep shit without a variety of drugs handy at all time (heart, blood pressure, pain killers, etc), so I'm very grateful to the good people working at drug companies.

So what. It doesn't stop a reasonable person from being wary.
     Lots - (crazy) - (20)
         WOW, just ... UMM, WOW! - (folkert)
         I have seen multiple examples of this - (boxley)
         +5, Informative. - (static)
         Re: Lots - (andread) - (16)
             Please explain a bit more - (crazy) - (15)
                 thats easy, my balls are big and they clang when I walk - (boxley) - (2)
                     Oh puhleeze - (crazy) - (1)
                         IreadLRPD (new thread) - (lincoln)
                 This has ______ to do with your opinion - (andread) - (11)
                     I wanted to see if I could understand your point of view - (crazy) - (10)
                         the "crazy" "rant" - (andread) - (9)
                             Thank you. - (crazy) - (8)
                                 Re: Thank you. - (andread) - (7)
                                     Microsoft cntinues the Monopolistic actions - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Re: Microsoft continues the Monopolistic actions - (andread)
                                     Interesting - (crazy) - (4)
                                         Re: Interesting - (andread) - (3)
                                             To you, yes -NT - (crazy) - (2)
                                                 No, in general - (andread) - (1)
                                                     Ahh, but you put up a wall - (crazy)

His laugh sounds like a balloon deflating into the face of a man who is throwing up and singing at the same time. It is the worst.
102 ms