IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let's don't forget the real problem.
As you point out, Europe is not the land mass the United States is. However, let us not forget that Europeans enjoy the "time off" that only our most elite corporate moguls can manage here. That we need rapid transit is an effect of a larger problem. If the Peeple were afforded the comparatively luxurious vacation time, family leave time, time off for new babies, etc. that are common in Europe, I doubt that anything faster than steam locomotives would be necessary here - Americans could enjoy leasurely travel if they only had the time to do so.

This is a much tougher nut to crack. We pass the Family Leave Act. Wonderful, you can take 12 weeks off if your family suffers a blow, but expect a 25% cut in your annual income if you do that (which, by defintion, will come at among the worst possible times). Not much of a choice.

As long as we all live for the betterment of the McWorld, things will not much improve. Not until Muricans begin to see themselves as human beings instead of Corporate "resources" (resource: that material to be consumed), many things, including commercial air travel, will remain fouled beyond hope of repair.
New Don't knock steam loco's
Those suckers could easily get up to Amtrak's legislated limits of 79mph. Well, some of them could...most 2-6-4s and 2-8-4s were set up for speed. 100mph steam was common for the passenger corridors between NY and Chi at the height of the passenger train era, when the Broadway Limited and Twentieth Century Limited would race out of Chicago toward The Big Apple
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Wasn't trying to knock them.
Only trying to knock the insane US "time off for good behavior" policies of Corporate America. ;-)
     Stupid, stupid, stupid airline so-called security - (wharris2) - (14)
         regulations as interpreted by Monte Python -NT - (boxley)
         Obvious system improvement. - (static) - (1)
             Clearly impractical - (Ric Locke)
         No thanks; I'll drive for the duration of this descent - (Ashton) - (10)
             Me hopes they lose those skins on their teeth -NT - (wharris2)
             Just don't get crazy, Ashton. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 My bad - forgot all those non-jumbo vehicles. - (Ashton)
             Ashton, are you serious? - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                 May I take this one, Ash? - (jb4) - (1)
                     Sorry... - (Arkadiy)
                 Yes, but not gleeful.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Let's don't forget the real problem. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Don't knock steam loco's - (jb4) - (1)
                             Wasn't trying to knock them. - (mmoffitt)

Too hard to follow.
85 ms