IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Apple Store saw me coming...

So, I was going to get a new pair of ear buds for my iPod down at my local Apple Store and while I was there, I decided to inquire about the new laptops.

Before I knew it, I was walking out with a 17" MacBook Pro, an HP Photosmart printer/scanner, a copy of Final Cut Express HD and, oh yes, my new iPod ear buds.

The good news:
- They honored my academic discount so I saved a few pence on the hardware plus got a deal on Final Cut.
- The printer is free after rebate.

Tom Sinclair

Rube: You like spaghetti, George? I like spaghetti. I like board games. I like grabbing a trifecta with that longshot on top. That ozone smell you get from air purifiers. And I like knowing the space between my ears is immeasurable. Mahler's first, Bernstein conducting. You've got to think about all the things you like and decide whether they're worth sticking around for. And if they are, you'll find a way to do this.
George: And what if I don't?
Rube: Then you go away, and you don't get to like anything anymore.
- Dead Like Me
New Nice!!
I like have fun
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Ear buds -> 17" Laptop
That's a hell of an upsell.
New Re: Ear buds -> 17" Laptop
Well, the last time I went in just to look around, I walked out with a 60 GB video iPod.

Man, I'm an easy mark.

Tom Sinclair

Rube: You like spaghetti, George? I like spaghetti. I like board games. I like grabbing a trifecta with that longshot on top. That ozone smell you get from air purifiers. And I like knowing the space between my ears is immeasurable. Mahler's first, Bernstein conducting. You've got to think about all the things you like and decide whether they're worth sticking around for. And if they are, you'll find a way to do this.
- Dead Like Me
New Thats why I don't go in there.
That...and the fact that mine connects to a Bose store too.

Dangerous mix for me. Only thing worse would be to put those 2 next to a Tower records.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New It can be tough

I find it helps to have a definite goal and not let yourself get distracted by all the other pretties.

Plus, don't go there for stuff you can get cheaper and more easily elsewhere, like CD-Rs and DVD-Rs.

Tom Sinclair

- Dead Like Me
New I'm thinking 8-core pro desktop when they ship
for doing tunes. Allegedly the IO subsystems are getting an overhaul - this has been the main hangup - no way to build massive throughput storage without dropping extra cash for the fibrechannel x-raid thing.

Large format multi-touch screens are also rumored - can you say giant virtual mixing surface?

I4 NOW!

Impeach, Indict, Incarcerate, Inject
Bush, Cheney, Gonzalez, Rumsfeld, Rove, Rice
Expand Edited by tuberculosis March 14, 2007, 11:48:27 PM EDT
New Article about upgrading

current dual-core Xeons with quad-core:

[link|http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6|http://www.anandtech...c.aspx?i=2832&p=6]

Tom Sinclair

- Dead Like Me
New The IO system is supposed to get a revamp
which is the other bottleneck holding me back.

I4 NOW!

New They're proliferating.
There's one in a major large-store shopping centre sorta near where I live, which quite surprised me when I first saw it, given we're on the edge of the city.

However, there was something ... uncomfortable about it. I've been tempted to get a Mac for a little while now, but the biggest thing stopping me is that I can't afford it, followed closely by I certainly don't need another PC. Then, too, I resisted trying Debian for a long time due to attitude from some highly polarised Debian devotees and my discomfort in that Apple Store was vaguely similar.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New They are doing very well
While other chains are closing stores - like CompUSA - Apple is expanding and raking in the cash.

[link|http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/19/8402321/index.htm|http://money.cnn.com...8402321/index.htm]

I4 NOW!

New Update
Finally got all of my data transferred from my old Powerbook.
Had to re-register some software, for others I had to purchase a new license.

Haven't noticed an obvious speed-up but things seem snappy enough. Plus, the glossy screen is crisp and gorgeous.

Pretty much everything works now and one of my students says that the store where he works will sell my old laptop for me.

Now for another reason I went to Macintel...

I downloaded and installed Crossover for Mac and then installed the one Windows app I need for work.

Both installs went great and the win32 app works like a champ
Tom Sinclair

- Dead Like Me
     The Apple Store saw me coming... - (tjsinclair) - (11)
         Nice!! - (Bman)
         Ear buds -> 17" Laptop - (crazy) - (1)
             Re: Ear buds -> 17" Laptop - (tjsinclair)
         Thats why I don't go in there. - (bepatient) - (1)
             It can be tough - (tjsinclair)
         I'm thinking 8-core pro desktop when they ship - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Article about upgrading - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                 The IO system is supposed to get a revamp - (tuberculosis)
         They're proliferating. - (static) - (1)
             They are doing very well - (tuberculosis)
         Update - (tjsinclair)

"Yes, but what if you get out of that groove?"
"Well, then I'm in trouble."
99 ms