IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DSL and Macs
Anyone have any information on MacOS 7.5 to 9.0 or OSX and DSL modems? My employer wants me to learn to support Macintoshes and DSL modems. They are phasing out the USB DSL modem and the new software only supports Ethernet based modems. I've yet to see a Firewire based DSL modem, but maybe those are due out soon?

We learned the basics of OSX and MacOS 9 today, but the older versions we have to figure out for ourselves.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Firewire DSL modem unlikely
Primarily as there's a very slim chance you'll find something that has Firewire but not Ethernet. Except the Apple iPod - hardly a target market for DSL I guess :)

I know very little about old Mac networking. I did get my Duo 230 net-connected (running 7.5) I think that was through Open Transport. Guess it wouldn't be abad idea just do a search on Open Transport to see what buttons folks need to press to do stuff like DHCP, etc.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New DSL
I've got Earthlink DSL and know a bit about this.

First, Ethernet is definitely the way to go and I agree that it's unlikely that FireWire is coming to DSL modems.

Most DSL accounts these days connect using PPPOE (Point to Point Over Ethernet). OS 9 needs some additional client software to connect but OS X supports PPPOE natively.

Set-up is pretty straight-forward. The user enters their PPPOE ID and password into the software and connects.

Hope this helps.
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)
New Mac OS X
It should be fairly easy to get [link|http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/|PPPoE] working on Mac OS X.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     DSL and Macs - (nking) - (3)
         Firewire DSL modem unlikely - (Meerkat)
         DSL - (tjsinclair)
         Mac OS X - (cforde)

An instinct for the regrettable that is almost uncanny.
42 ms