IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need the bit-rate to offer opinions.
It is said that 320kps MP3 is truly indistinguishable from the original. It is also said that for most people 192kps is also indistinguishable from the original, but 128kps is pushing it and at 112kps artifacts get noticeable for a distinct proportion of music and listeners, but it depends on what you're listening to the result on. Cheap in-ear headphones? A lot of people get away with 96kps or even (shudder) 64kps.

Ogg Vorbis at 64kps is roughly the same as MP3 at 128kps, but the artifacts are different and, to a lot of people, nicer. ATRAC3plus (Sony's codec that began life on MiniDisc) at 64kps is about the same as MP3 at 256kps. I tried MP3 some years ago and decided I liked the idea of Ogg Vorbis better. But it tied the music to the computer, and that didn't work with how I listen to music, so my music collection only grew slowly. I've since made my choice of MiniDisc (specifically Hi-MD) and gone ATRAC3plus.

Wade.
"Don't give up!"
[link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] · [link|http://yceran.org/|website]
New CDex "preset standard" VBR2 is 128 - 320 kbps
It generally seems to vary between 160 and 256 kbps in songs played with the CDex player. iTunes calls it 194 kbps VBR or 232 kbps VBR in a couple of songs I've looked at (10000 Maniacs "Noah's Dove"; Bad Religion "The Gray Race").

We've got [link|http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-300S-CX300-B-Earbuds/dp/B000E1DSAE/|Sennheiser CX-300B] earbuds. They seem pretty good and are very comfortable. But most of the time we'll be listening to the collection in our cars.

I don't imagine I can really hear the difference (even with the earbuds) between what I made and the lossless stuff. Almost every place I listen has so much background noise that that dominates any fidelity issues. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something else.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
     After making 22 GB of MP3s, should I have used FLAC instead? - (Another Scott) - (16)
         You probably can't hear the difference. - (pwhysall)
         Need the bit-rate to offer opinions. - (static) - (1)
             CDex "preset standard" VBR2 is 128 - 320 kbps - (Another Scott)
         I use this set of switches for "lame" - (folkert) - (10)
             Ya see, that's one reason I gave up on MP3. - (static) - (9)
                 Blimey. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Yes, it was a pathological example. - (static) - (1)
                         Re: Yes, it was a pathological example. - (pwhysall)
                     Stop contradicting. - (folkert) - (3)
                         Er... dude... - (admin) - (1)
                             Exactly. -NT - (folkert)
                         Yeah, there's history. - (pwhysall)
                 That is the FULL switch set I use. Some are for ID3. - (folkert) - (1)
                     And, speaking from experience, GF's re-encodes sound great. -NT - (bepatient)
         No. - (bepatient)
         FLAC not needed - (andread)

I’d love to have either one win and then lose in a recount. Nice set-up for a faction fight.
42 ms