I decided to go with the LinkSys PAP2 router and Vonage for $24.95/mo unlimited calling.

So far I've made a few calls and it appears to work as well as regular phone service. Also, I get to keep my telephone number, which we've had for close to 8 1/2 years now. That should transfer over in a week or so.

No contract, I can cancel anytime.

Also, I assume this hardware will probably work with Time Warner VOIP (when it arrives) as well, but with the "discounts", it was basically free.

The router was $59.95, then we also bought a "quad" wireless 5.8ghz phone set from AT&T for $99.95. We decided to upgrade from the 2.4ghz wireless because it "can" interfere with WiFi.

When we went to the checkout at Best Buy, we ended up with a $178 total, but that was a couple of things for the kids as well. I already had a $25 gift card, so that brought the total to $153. With the $50 "rebate gift card" we got, plus the $100 rebate, we paid about $15 for the whole thing (taking out the kids stuff). Of course, we'll have to wait for the $100 rebate to arrive, and we have to "spend" another $50 at some point in the future, at Best Buy. (That shouldn't be a problem....)

Now the good part, I get to replace my $93/mo phone bill, for $24.95/mo, plus the taxes (which will hopefully put me around $31 or so). That should produce a positive savings pretty quickly.

I'm thinking I may go ahead and spring for a small APC UPS for the phone router, cable router, wireless router, and hub I have. That way, if the power does go out, those things continue to run, at least for an hour or so.

The 911 I'm not so worried about, because we have 5 working cell phones in the house, and about 3 more non-working.

So, that's where we stand as of Jan 1st. New Vonage customer. I will continue to use Skype on the road, or for conference calls (so I can use a headset), but Vonage will be our new home phone.

Glen Austin