IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Microsoft survey
I suffered through a looooooong telephone survey this morning, obviously from Microsoft (though they made a half hearted effort to obscure that for the first quarter or so).

Shows what they're interested in - public impressions of Windows vs. Linux, .NET vs. the world, trust and respect for Microsoft.

My input averages out to: Windows = so so; Linux = preferred where it works. .NET = not useful (vapor); Trust = not half as far as I can throw 'em; Respect = huh?

Interestingly, the questions treated Linux as a company.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: Microsoft survey
Interestingly, the questions treated Linux as a company.

I see that a lot lately, especially in print media.
-----
Steve
New Make perception so, then it'll have to behave so?
Well, wouldn't Microsoft just love *that*...

(What, if that's why it's happening? "I couldn't possibly comment...")
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Sounds like
the surveys were created from outdated templates...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Why didn't you blow them off?
Unless it took 15 minutes for you to convince them to say who the survey was from before you even answered the first question.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New No, no, no!
How can you defeat your enemy without knowing him? Take all the surveys you can, in hopes that the questions asked tell you more than they wish.

And, of course, give false answers just to screw 'em up.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New Why do that?
The ladies doing the surveys are always nice, and it's not their fault the outfit paying for the survey is a bunch of criminals, they're just trying to do their job, and are appreciative that someone is willing to do the survey.

I tend to get them early and give them a bit of much needed training, background and pronunciation help (a couple surveys I've answered I was obviously (and admitedly) the first respondant).

The survey questions give me a real good idea what's bothering the outfit paying for the survey and what they're up to.

Besides, surveys can be fun, and sometimes profitable (I won the drawing for $500 on one of them, and some send checks or boxes of chocolates (though I don't expect that from Microsoft - Billy sez, "a dollar saved is a dollar for me")).

A few years back I was in a focus group ($125) helping Microsoft decide on a name and price range for Visual Studio. That was fun for me, but not for the poor survey people. Most of the participants were very vocal that they didn't care what the name was or what the price was, they didn't trust Microsoft and wouldn't use the product.

Another focus group ($125) was for that outfit that went broke trying to sell expensive service contracts along with Postgre SQL. We let them know the plan would fly like a lead balloon, but they just wasted their money. They released the product as prsented two or three weeks after the focus group, so they probably never even read the results. RIP.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Where do you GET those groups?
Never got any money from a focus group in my life.
Most of the work of government does not need to be done.
New Ah. Different sort of survey.
I got the impression it was akin to a telemarketing survey. We get those occasionally in the evening. I always ask right out what they're selling or who they're surveying for. Surveyors also get asked if they will pay me to do the survey since they're getting paid.

Still, I'd like to know upfront that it was a Microsoft-sponsored survey, if those asking know (telemarketers don't always know who they're surveying for, BTW).

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Microsoft survey - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
         Re: Microsoft survey - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
             Make perception so, then it'll have to behave so? - (CRConrad)
             Sounds like - (imric)
         Why didn't you blow them off? - (static) - (4)
             No, no, no! - (Silverlock)
             Why do that? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Where do you GET those groups? - (wharris2)
                 Ah. Different sort of survey. - (static)

Get thee to a nunnery! O besmirched daughter of priapic Chic-worship.
89 ms