IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A Glorious Day for Fascism
Anyone watch the Bill Moyers PBS show: Trading America?

Here's some background: [link|http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011015|http://www.thenatio...l?i=20011015]&c=6&s=greider

Chapter 11 of NAFTA allows foreign corporations to "sue" state and federal governments if that government passes a law that causes financial damage to the corporation. The decision on the award is made by fat cat fascists with no public viewing allowed. It has already worked against Canada, who had to repeal a public health law and pay damages to a corporation peddling toxins and now the State of California is facing a similar charge from a gasoline additive company. The gasoline additive is a toxin showing up in drinking water. California wants to ban it, the Canadian corporation selling it is now going after the State of California for 970 million in lost revenues. This decision, like all others under the NAFTA guidelines, will be made in secret, but you can bet the taxpayers of California are going to foot the bill.

Moyers show was terribly frightening. He may be the last true investigative reporter viewable on television. God knows we can't count on CNN (Corporate News Network) or any other McNews outlet to inform Joe and Molly Sixpack about anything that doesn't tow the corporate line!
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Feb. 7, 2002, 09:59:12 AM EST
New The "best" part
Did you catch who is doing all the suing? There is a lawyer running a "Chapter 11 boutique law firm." She specializes in Chapter 11 lawsuits. She's a real good person to hire for it, as she has extensive knowledge of the legislation.

She should. She wrote it.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Biting tongue and running to the bathroom
Most of the work of government does not need to be done.
New Fascism?
Dammit. I can remember the name for government by corporation.

Hey! Rollerball is being re-released and completely trashed.
New That is not fascism, that is apparachikism
like under breznev in the Soviet Union. Interlocking little bastards without a party label operating at the mid and lower upper management of government and corps. They rotate in and out of government service keeping their circle of pals employed and rich to the detriment of the government and the companies that have them. Enron is a good example.
thanx,
bill
"If you're half-evil, nothing soothes you more than to think the person you are opposed to is totally evil."
Norman Mailer
New My question...
At the end of the day, is there any difference between a system where the means of production (collapsed down to a monolithic group) owns the govornment and one where the govornment owns the means of production?
----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Verily I say unto thee_____ not a thruppence difference.
(And we immediately see how large is the lie that, Muricans want plain-speaking politicians..)

Ashton
In the Asylum but not of it
     A Glorious Day for Fascism - (mmoffitt) - (6)
         The "best" part - (drewk)
         Biting tongue and running to the bathroom -NT - (wharris2)
         Fascism? - (Brandioch)
         That is not fascism, that is apparachikism - (boxley) - (2)
             My question... - (mhuber) - (1)
                 Verily I say unto thee_____ not a thruppence difference. - (Ashton)

#include <stdlrpd.h>
50 ms