IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Photos of the damage can be seen here
[link|http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/whooty/Owl%20and%20John/|http://smg.photobuck...Owl%20and%20John/]

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 14, 2006, 03:19:40 AM EST
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 14, 2006, 03:27:07 AM EST
New 'He's dead, Jim'
Sorry.. but that's clearly a "salvage title" - a blotch you could never remove from Registration == as regards any future sale or recovery value, after spending (way-too) much, etc.

Luck in the too-many-choices game. Everyone here would have numerous not-GM "solutions" - but that's your business. Note though, just how much-less-than Twenty Thousand Dollars would buy any number of.. as-reliable-as-it-gets kewl cruisers, perhaps 2-3 yo but still with warranty (plus thorough mechanic checkout pre-purchase.)

Fortunately too - every one of those WILL have ABS, and since you live in an ice rink - some of the fancy 'stability control' features, as cover acceleration, along with the braking trajectory: might tickle your fancy.

(It's amazing what can be done now with tons of transistors and hi-pressure hydraulics: to save non-physics students from themselves. Really! - these gadgets have reached the Functional stage.)

Luck,

moi

New Reason for GM, etc.
Sorry.. but that's clearly a "salvage title" - a blotch you could never remove from Registration == as regards any future sale or recovery value, after spending (way-too) much, etc.

I had to agree Ashton, even though it was a tough call to make.

Luck in the too-many-choices game. Everyone here would have numerous not-GM "solutions" - but that's your business. Note though, just how much-less-than Twenty Thousand Dollars would buy any number of.. as-reliable-as-it-gets kewl cruisers, perhaps 2-3 yo but still with warranty (plus thorough mechanic checkout pre-purchase.)

The reason for the GM choices is that in regards to purchasing a new car, John has a discount from work on the following cars: GM, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Infinity, Nissan, Dodge, Chrysler, & Jeep.

We have discussed a used car option, but our biggest problem is we don't have a lot of time to locate a car before he goes on after-hour support (Dec 20th until Dec 28th), so we are trying to find something fast as he will need to be able to leave if he's called in. We are currently paying for the rental ourselves, so it's not logical to keep it either, however, I don't know for sure what will happen. I know the insurance company told him they would personally bring his check by his work tomorrow to get it to him in as expedient a manner as possible, so that's where we are at this point.

Appreciate all the input though, and we are still considering a lot of options, just leaning towards the Dodge Charger as it seems to solve both my needing to have sight lines on the hood issues and his specific needs as well.

Fortunately too - every one of those WILL have ABS, and since you live in an ice rink - some of the fancy 'stability control' features, as cover acceleration, along with the braking trajectory: might tickle your fancy.

Oh yes, this Dodge Charger we drove has a fancy allspeed traction system, and the St. Louis Police department rated it the best car for getting around in the ice storm we had a couple weeks back, not bad, huh?

Me, I just want a car I feel comfortable with, that feels heavy enough and hugs the road, and that I can see some semblance of hood through the windshield in. :)

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New Will agree on the 'sight lines' problem.
One of my not-so-minor nits with the fancy Acura Plutocrat is precisely that lack, both front and rear. A group pointed out a eBay sale (one-only = sold) of a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) option on their version of my car; (the phenom is exaggerated too, by the length of hood necessary for a long fwd-5-cyl engine underneath):

A Pop-up, illuminated fibreglass rod! called a 'bumper pole' - you can locate it on front bumpers or rear (or both) depending on what bugs the most. A little bit of wiring fiddle - and an indicator + switch, in cockpit. I do miss the compact size + visibility of the Saab - but the later models were way off my radar for many reasons.

Quite right that these modrin copy-cat 'sleeky look-alikes' completely ignore this absence of all refs, as the hood just drops away and rear is masked by wide pillars. I just may try to run down another kit from that seller; it's at least an Interesting solution.. Hmmm - if you end up with a !=Dodge, you might want a JDM kit too, for some other sleek thang. I have Seller's data.

I.

New Thanks, Ashton!
I'll certainly keep the option in mind. I didn't have much trouble driving the Charger, so I think I'll wait and see how it goes once I actually have some driving experience with it, but that sounds like a neat item to use for a sight line!

Edit: As an aside, one of the dealers we saw, (Pontiac dealer), told us this older lady wanted to buy one of their newer cars, but insisted that she would only buy it if they got a specific hood ornament and mounted it exactly where she wanted it. And they did! ;)

Brenda

Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 15, 2006, 11:35:08 PM EST
New Not a smart repair. You're doing the right thing.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
     They totalled our Grand AM....and I had to agree - (Nightowl) - (10)
         Photos of the damage can be seen here - (Nightowl) - (5)
             'He's dead, Jim' - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Reason for GM, etc. - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     Will agree on the 'sight lines' problem. - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Thanks, Ashton! - (Nightowl)
             Not a smart repair. You're doing the right thing. -NT - (bepatient)
         What? No Lexus? - (pwhysall)
         the charger is nice but pricey - (boxley) - (1)
             Re: the charger is nice but pricey - (Nightowl)
         Given the damage, "totalled" is a good thing. - (a6l6e6x)

Everyone sing a song about popcorn!
46 ms