IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Accounting software
So it turns out that our accountant is ready to switch from Traverse.

Could be interesting. I'm thinking that Windows shouldn't be a requirement in the new spec. Not about to say we should ditch the NT server, just that maybe we can find a better option.

Any suggestions for accounting software? Price does not seem to be a major issue.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Well, that would depend on . .
type of business and size, reports required, whether customization is needed, network performance requriements, etc. Is integration with spreadsheets needed? Is inventory a major factor? Is there assembly, and if so is BOM required or just kitting. And many more.

A primary "need to know" is whether the acounting is oriented to operations or to accountants. Also important is whether top to bottom autoposting is desired or "post on demand" after reviewing the journal entries. Small business managers can't live without autoposting and real accountants can't live with it.

With operations accounting packages, minor details often make the difference between usability and pure hell.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Speaking of which, I should have asked y'all sooner
We're getting ready (FINALLY) to slough off the shackles of QuickBooks--wanting a Real Accounting Package now. The biggest question is, are there any which have a Wonderfully Open API so I can patch in our custom Operations software with minimum fuss? I'd need something where I could create invoices programatically, etc.

Any places I should go look?
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New Look at MyBooks
[link|http://www.appgen.com/products/mybooks.html|here]

The price is certainly right, $99 for five users. And it runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

Frankly, I think Appgen's web site could be laid out much better. But it looks like you can customize it using either the ODBC interface or the [link|http://www.appgen.com/products/developers.html|Linux Business Application Generator], which is either $99 or $599.

Andrew should be able to tell you more. He's also mentioned at least one other Linux accounting package in the past.

Good luck,

Tony
New Customizable accounting
The customizable package we work with is Appgen, which now has a 5-user Linux version for around $600. This is the complete package that usually costs something like $800 / module for other platforms and more users.

Appgen is designed for fast and very economical customization. Like many mainframe accounting package, it's presumed you will customize it, that's it's main point, so there aren't a lot of bells and whistles built in. Appgen is a "post on demand" system and is approved by accountants organizations.

Customization is done by an Appgen VAR, who has the complete development package, a support contract and training. It is very expensive for an end user to get this stuff, though there is a $300 compiler available for on-site use. We outsource all programming to a guy who specializes in Appgen programming because that's the most economical approach.

Another package we have one client running is DataPro. He was running the DOS/LAN version, but they had to recode as 32Bit Windows text to be compatible with Win2k, and that blew network performance completely out of the water. He is now running the Linux version with terminal emulation on his Windows desktops. This is a more "polished" package, since customization is much more difficult than with Appgen.

We also represent Vigilant, which has general / wholesale distribution and point of sale versions running under DOS, Windows and Linux. As with any package with limited customization, care must be taken that it fits the job. Vigilant's flagship product is their new Linux multi-store POS system which has some very significant advantages over competing products.

Once again, the devil is in the details. A fine package can be useless in the wrong place.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Appgen looks closest to what I want
Although [link|http://www.blackbaud.com/solutions/fe_cust.asp|Blackbaud] looks closer. I don't want to get locked into someone else's 4GL, written specifically for their own apps--I'm looking for more of an object approach, so I don't have to rebuild *too* much of my existing vertical apps. Basically I need a solid GL package which I can link our custom inventory stuff into.

If anyone knows of a similar package that leans more toward a heavier-duty RMI structure than VBA for its automation, I'd be in heaven :) J2EE, anyone?

Thanks for the links!
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New AppGen can be modified in several ways
(Andrew correct me if I'm wrong)
1. You can use AppGen's 4GL language
2. You can access the database using ODBC drivers
3. There is a C interface
and there might be other options.

Spending about ten minutes googling I didn't find anything that seemed to fit your needs using Java. I'd avoid VBA.

I suspect using AppGen for the GL linked via database interface (ODBC) to your custom inventory code would work fine.

Tony
New Just out of curiosity...
Why are they wanting to switch from Traverse (though the "Developed Using 100% Microsoft Technology" on thier [link|http://www.customwareinc.com/traverse/traverse.php|website] hints at a possible reason)?

--
Chris Altmann
New Give Andrew a call also look at MAS90 runs on Nix and NT
Although having worked with MAS90 the consultant you get it thru is as important as the product, same I suppose as Mr Grygus there who I would reccomend.
thanx,
bill
"If you're half-evil, nothing soothes you more than to think the person you are opposed to is totally evil."
Norman Mailer
     Accounting software - (mhuber) - (8)
         Well, that would depend on . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
             Speaking of which, I should have asked y'all sooner - (tseliot) - (4)
                 Look at MyBooks - (tonytib)
                 Customizable accounting - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Appgen looks closest to what I want - (tseliot) - (1)
                         AppGen can be modified in several ways - (tonytib)
         Just out of curiosity... - (altmann)
         Give Andrew a call also look at MAS90 runs on Nix and NT - (boxley)

This massage will self-rubout within a trice.
75 ms