IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Warning - Mozilla 0.9.8 Win32 has problems.
Hi,

I've been playing around with 0.9.8 a little bit today. It's quite a bit faster than 0.9.7?, but has problems.

E.g.1) The Message composer box for IWeThey is about 2x as wide as it should be. 2) It can get in some mode where it loses track of what sites it's visited in its history, so going from IWeThey to fool.com will cause it to look for /forums/render/... at [link|http://www.fool.com/forums/render|http://www.fool.com/forums/render] and thus you'll get a 404. Strange.

There are also reports of problems with printing, etc., at LinuxToday.

Anyway, I'd be wary if you're thinking about trying it. Keep 0.9.7 or your favorite nightly handy. I've gone back to 0.9.7? (2001031604).

[edit - it's its not it's.... grr.]

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Feb. 5, 2002, 09:04:39 PM EST
New Am looking forward to the OS X version
It may well have the same troubles, haven't tried it yet. The thing I'm keen on is 'native gadgets' - whatever the real term is called. IE: platform-specific common UI elements like buttons and stuff. I'm used to Omniweb aquafying things, and am pleased they're making Moz behave the same way. Will give it a go in a few days anyway and hopefully remember to report back.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New I like the OS X version a lot (and the lInux one, too)
It's definitely faster and more stable than 0.97. I don't use the Mail or Chat clients and I don't print that much so I can't really comment on potential bugs there.

My students, on the other hand, are crazy about the Linux version. I mentioned this morning that a new release had come out and they all wanted to go and download it. I settled for grabbing a copy myself and putting it on our classroom file server.

They *love* tabbed browsing.
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

Being a werewolf meant having the dexterity and jaw power to instantly rip
out a man's jugular. It was a trick of her father's that had always annoyed
her mother, especially when he did it just before meals.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)
New Tabbed browsing?
0.96 (which I'm using) has it, unless I'm mistaking what you're calling tabbed browsing. I hope it doesn't involve cats (feeble attempt at humor).
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New No, no cats
I realize it was available in earlier versions, but it's new to my students.

(Windows-oriented curriculum, you know.)

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

Of course, Ankh-Morpork's citizens had always claimed that the river water
was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys,
they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)
New Am now running 0.9.8 for OS X
Sure enough, it's fab. I've said goodbye to Omniweb for the time being.
It's very crisp, seems faster than Omniweb. And definitely more CSS friendly. All I have to do is load Karsten style sheet onto it and it'll be perfect.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New 404 errors - is there a proxy around??
The mangled URLs have plagued Mozilla for a while, but they are caused by proxies, like Junkbuster, that do not support HTTP1.1 and its associated attributes. The suggested solutions are to switch Mozilla to HTTP1.0, or to use a proxy that works properly.

New Yup. That's probably it.
After removing 0.9.8 I did recall reading about proxy issues. I was using Junkbuster (it's at least a couple of years old) and I don't recall whether I ever turned it off. Probably not. The latest version of Junkbuster (2.0.2) [link|http://www.junkbuster.com/ijbman.html|doesn't mention] HTTP 1.1, so I assume it's still at 1.0.

0.9.8 on this Mac (OS 8.6) works very well and I don't have a proxy here.

I'll try 0.9.8 again on my PC next week.

Thanks. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Junkbuster
Junkbuster 2.0 definitely does not support HTTP1.1, and there are some comments in the Mozilla bug databae that indicate it plays fast and loose with HTTP requests under any circumstance. It appears Junkbuster has halted development of the proxy, with its website actually recommending a commercial product these days.

A group at [link|http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/|Sourceforge] has taken up the slack and is working on the 3.0 version. I've been running the 2.9 alpha version since Mozilla 0.9.7 and I haven't had a single horked URL since.
New Looks neat. Thanks. Now to figure out the config file...
New Forgot to mention the best part: refiltering
This is especially neat. Totally user configurable and can ...
- squash web bugs
- kill popups (or make them resizable/movable, ...)
- crush Javascript cookies
- rework web pages any way you want on the fly
New Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
I was avoiding upgrading to version 0.98 not wanting to have problems. Now, I've upgraded and so far have not seen any problems. I don't use Junkbuster.
Alex

"Of course, you realize this means war." -B. Bunny
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Feb. 9, 2002, 06:13:49 PM EST
     Warning - Mozilla 0.9.8 Win32 has problems. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Am looking forward to the OS X version - (Meerkat) - (4)
             I like the OS X version a lot (and the lInux one, too) - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                 Tabbed browsing? - (wharris2) - (1)
                     No, no cats - (tjsinclair)
                 Am now running 0.9.8 for OS X - (Meerkat)
         404 errors - is there a proxy around?? - (scoenye) - (5)
             Yup. That's probably it. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Junkbuster - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Looks neat. Thanks. Now to figure out the config file... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Forgot to mention the best part: refiltering - (scoenye)
             Thanks for bringing this to our attention. - (a6l6e6x)

That's right subspace ponies! I'm makin' gravy without the lumps!
100 ms