IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That would be a radix-search, I think.
Ideal for numeric data like SSNs.
"Don't give up!"
New Nah, you want a hash
You always want a hash. O(1) is really hard to beat.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
New I thought a radix search was also O(1).
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but a radix-search is very similar to a hash lookup, but uses the value itself directly rather than hashing it first. I think in practice it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the idea.

Wade.
"Don't give up!"
New Gah - my bad
I was thinking of radix sort - which is O(nk) where k is key size.

Search is, as you say, proportional to k or O(1).

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
     Steve Yegge (who he? - ed) on Perl - (pwhysall) - (62)
         IRLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
         He worked for Amazon for many years - (tuberculosis) - (60)
             Well based on that ... - (folkert) - (59)
                 Key factors are - (tuberculosis) - (58)
                     do it all the time - (boxley)
                     I have never had an under spec'd system. - (folkert) - (56)
                         More to the point is will it fit on one machine? - (tuberculosis) - (55)
                             I guess I think to simply. - (folkert) - (22)
                                 You would filewalk for every query? - (crazy) - (18)
                                     RAMFS? -NT - (folkert) - (17)
                                         Doesn't matter - (crazy) - (5)
                                             That would be a radix-search, I think. - (static) - (3)
                                                 Nah, you want a hash - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     I thought a radix search was also O(1). - (static) - (1)
                                                         Gah - my bad - (tuberculosis)
                                             Also, I just thought about your file size - (crazy)
                                         On a 32 bit machine? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                                             Ever heard of PAE? - (folkert) - (9)
                                                 I'd call that exotic technology -NT - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                     No, it is bone stock on everything since the P3 from Intel - (folkert) - (7)
                                                         And AMD? PowerPC? ARM? - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                             You said COMMON 32-bit - (folkert) - (5)
                                                                 That kind of weasel won't get you a job - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                     This line of questioning wouldn't get you a candidate for - (folkert) - (3)
                                                                         Whoa - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                             No he got downright rude. -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                 I'm not trying to be rude - (tuberculosis)
                                 Where did you get 1G? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                     Not all 9 digit numbers are valid. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         I assumed so - (tuberculosis)
                             something you forgot, what lawyer to hire - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Nah - (crazy)
                             We talked about this one before - (admin) - (6)
                                 We did - he didn't - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                     Just saying... - (admin) - (4)
                                         But we hardly talk about programming at all anymore - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                             :-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 I agree on the eyeballs. - (static)
                                                 I put most of my programming rants on my blog - (tuberculosis)
                             non programmer answer, append a 0,1 or2 - (boxley) - (15)
                                 PICK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? - (crazy) - (5)
                                     dont knock it until you have tried it, recently -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                         I've spent the last 20 years systematically killing it - (crazy) - (3)
                                             again, see what the needs are and then ask what the solution - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 One trick pony - (crazy) - (1)
                                                     If that is the trick you need use it -NT - (boxley)
                                 The key is to stay off the disk - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                     CramFS in RAM. -NT - (folkert) - (6)
                                         That's not a solution either - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                             Okay, at this point... - (folkert) - (4)
                                                 Sure - just want to give you a taste - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                     personally I hate programming, I like debugging - (boxley)
                                                     Cheaper at Bookpool, btw. - (admin)
                                                     ICLRPD - (drewk)
                                     Math isnt my strong suit but - (boxley)
                             I hope you're going to outline the solution. :-) - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Admin did it very nicely. - (crazy) - (1)
                                     D'Oh! Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 Cool sort paper - (crazy)
                             Taking a stab - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                 Still doesn't beat O(1) :-) -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                     Ok, I read the answer you gave... - (ChrisR)

Anything that ugly should die and be eaten at breakfast.
225 ms