IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kubuntu 6.10 installed Ok on my T41 Thinkpad.
I installed it tonight. It went pretty well. I overwrote my MEPIS partition. The only oddity I noticed was that my WAP key didn't seem to be accepted by the wireless configuration thingy (it said something like "Unable to Connect"), but it worked fine. Dunno what's up with that...

I updated the system and installed several applications without incident. It's pretty easy to use.

My T41 has a 1.7 GHz CPU but the various applications that show the CPU speed say that it's running at 600 MHz. Any idea what I need to do to fix that? It does seem to be rather pokey, so I think its reading the correct speed.

Also, the Alt + Backarrow keystroke does not cause the browser to go back to the previous page. Is there a way to enable that?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Lexmark E234 SMB printer works well with CUPS
if one installs the HP Laserjet 4000 driver and selects the pcl5 mode. It has a drop-down box in the settings to select 1200 dpi. I can't honestly see much difference between the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi settings except there is a lot of moire in the "1 Degree Radial Lines" graphic at 1200 dpi than there is at 600 dpi.

I wasn't able to get the printer to print with any of the listed Lexmark drivers I tried.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think I figured out the proper way to get wireless working
K -> System Settings -> Network Settings

Administrator Mode button, enter password

Click on "ath0" Network Interface and hit the Configure Interface button

Enter your ESSID and WEP key (hexadecimal in my case). Hit OK.

You should be in business after a brief delay.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Left Alt + Arrows work as expected.
I noticed in the keyboard settings (K -> System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts) that Alt + LeftArrow is mapped to Back in the Application Shortcuts, but it didn't work for me.

Then I started playing around...

Right Alt + Arrow Keys just acts like the bare Arrow Keys.

Left Alt + Left Arrow Key acts as I expect - it is the same as clicking the Back Arrow key in Firefox or Konqueror. Similarly for the Right Arrow key.

My guess is the different scan codes aren't being mapped to the same action. There doesn't seem to be an obvious setting for it in the Keyboard Shortcuts.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Google Earth on Kubuntu works pretty well.
[link|http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html|Download Google Earth]. Kubuntu defaults to placing "GoogleEarthLinux.bin" on the Desktop. To install it you need to do the following:

K -> System -> Konsole Terminal Program

cd Desktop

chmod +x G*.bin

./GoogleDesktopLinux.bin

I accepted the defaults and it installed and started right up.

Without [link|http://www.macewan.org/2006/06/12/how-to-install-google-earth-for-linux/|this HowTo] I wouldn't have figured it out, even though I knew it was an issue of marking the file as an executable rather than a data file.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who will likely continue posting Kubuntu tips in this thread for newbies like me.)
New sh ./GoogleDesktopLinux.bin
That will work, as long as it is an executable shell script with data tagged on the end. Which is what most executable blobs like that are.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New powernowd has let me bump up the CPU speed to 1700 MHz.
K -> System -> KSysGuard shows a display of 4 system performance parameters. I deleted the Swap display (as the swap partition hasn't been touched yet) and added a display of the CPU Clock frequency sensor. It was 600 MHz.

Running powernowd in a Konsole lists several parameters of the Pentium M processor can be adjusted. It's a little cryptic, but running:

sudo powernowd -v

(and entering the password) shows the present parameters. In my case, the CPU could run at 600 - 1700 MHz in 200 MHz steps (except for 300 MHz at the last step). I'm not sure what I did exactly, in changing the "s" option to 1 and then back to 100000 kHz caused the CPU graph to go to 1700 MHz and the Power Manager thingy on the KDE Panel to also indicate 1700 MHz.

I don't know if this setting is sticky or not. I'll revise this post if/when I learn more about the powernowd settings.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is under the impression that powernowd is designed for AMD processors so is curious why it works at all with this Intel chip.)
New powernowd explanation:
Originally it was only for the AMD processors... but now the packages description says:
Description: control cpu speed and voltage using 2.6 kernel interface This simple client controls CPU speed and voltage using the sysfs interface to the CPUFreq driver in v2.6 Linux kernels. It does not depend on APM or ACPI, and it doesn't try to do anything other than control the CPU.

The name is somewhat misleading, as any CPUfreq capable processor will work, not just those from AMD. However, it works better on CPUs that support more than two speed steps, like those with AMD's PowerNow! or Intel's Pentium M series.

This daemon is less complicated than cpufreqd or cpudyn, at the cost of absolutely depending on a 2.6 kernel with the userspace governor and sysfs support enabled.

So you do need to use cpufreqd or cpudyn if it bothers you, or you are going to use a 2.4.x kernel.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New I would be interested to know why
it defaulted to that setting for you. I installed Dapper onto the T40 and have since upgraded to edgy and its working quite well.

Mind you, I'm gonna check that setting now just to make sure :-)
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Hey, me too. :-)
     Kubuntu 6.10 installed Ok on my T41 Thinkpad. - (Another Scott) - (9)
         Lexmark E234 SMB printer works well with CUPS - (Another Scott)
         I think I figured out the proper way to get wireless working - (Another Scott)
         Left Alt + Arrows work as expected. - (Another Scott)
         Google Earth on Kubuntu works pretty well. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             sh ./GoogleDesktopLinux.bin - (folkert)
         powernowd has let me bump up the CPU speed to 1700 MHz. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             powernowd explanation: - (folkert)
             I would be interested to know why - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Hey, me too. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)

Credit grudgingly slathered, for consistency.
90 ms