IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Because if we were like the "legislate everything Euros",
3-G wouldn't be here, anywhere. Both major 3G systems, CDMA-2000 (Qualcom) and W-CDMA (GSM successor) are based on CDMA. And when Sprint rolled out IS-95 CDMA, many people did not believe it would work. No freedom to use a new techology (as in the Europe) means slower technological advancement.

Of course, there is the downside of incompatibility. But, consider the PC world -- standardization on Windows has had its benefits (large customer base for ISV's and hardware manufacturers) and disadvantages (PC's really have not changed much, and are still user-unfriendly and unreliable). At least you legally can run Mac OS, Linux, BSD, Solaris, OS/2, etc.

--Tony
New I was talking about "locking", not mandating any specific...
...technology.

But, "legislate everything Euros", "No freedom to use a new techology (as in the Europe)", and so on...? That, AFAIK, is just plain factually wrong.

WTF do you think this is, really -- the fucking Soviet Union?!?

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New True for cell phones
try starting a IS-95 or CDMA-2000 carrier in Europe...not legally possible. There are advantages to the Euro approach, but there are disadvantages, too.

It would be possible to use a SIM-style approach for CDMA (maybe they do in Korea), but this doesn't help for GSM/CDMA phone swapping.

If the phone is subsidized by the carrier, then the carrier should have the right to lock it. I've heard it's easy to get it unlocked, e.g. if you're going to Asia. Plus, there are plenty of companies that will do it for you.

--Tony
New OK, sounds as if you know a lot better than I do.
At least about cell phone tech, that is. :-)

This other bit, though:
If the phone is subsidized by the carrier, then the carrier should have the right to lock it.
Thing is, they shouldn't be fucking "subsidizing" anything in the first place. AFAIK, product tying is just as illegal here as over there... Too bad that seems to be just as much a fancy fiction here as over there. :-(

I've heard it's easy to get it unlocked, e.g. if you're going to Asia. Plus, there are plenty of companies that will do it for you.
Yeah, yeah, that's all good and fine -- but what I am saying is, in a law-abiding civilized society, shenanigans like that shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
     Broken cell phone - (jbrabeck) - (22)
         Was gonna suggest ebay for the part - (bepatient)
         TESSCO has the screen. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Created an order and found... - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                 :-( - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Already have a business id - (jbrabeck)
         see if you are eligible for an upgraded phone - (imqwerky) - (12)
             When is her contract up? Renewal usually nets a new phone -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                 She's 6 months into a new 2 year contract. -NT - (jbrabeck)
             I'm on Verizon - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                 So, get the new phone... - (imqwerky) - (8)
                     Verizon phone won't work on T-Mobile network -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (7)
                         Disgusting habit. Recently legalised here, too. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                             Here the issue is not necessarily legal - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Ah, OK, I'd forgotten that. - (CRConrad)
                             Because if we were like the "legislate everything Euros", - (tonytib) - (3)
                                 I was talking about "locking", not mandating any specific... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     True for cell phones - (tonytib) - (1)
                                         OK, sounds as if you know a lot better than I do. - (CRConrad)
         does her contract have a phone coverage claus? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             No, she opted out of the insurance - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                 You know why: Because it IS the RIGHT thing to do. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Integrity - (imqwerky)