IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New (Probably regrettably) - no experience
I recall a favorable mention by a friend, re a Jane Eyre role? - Rochester I suppose - but that was several years ago. (I remember unusual names, but haven't seen his visage.)

I'm working on getting to see some of 'Rome', though - friend w/cable doesn't pay for HBO - but is sent tapes. Who cares if it's late. If Rome appears, will certainly imagineer him into 221B Baker St, now that you mention. But is that your idea.. or yours and some producer's (already?)

Ya gots cuth, so I'd trust your first impression - since we agree on Brett's near perfection. If Mr. Hinds can bring off comparable obsession, I'm all for that. Silly and unfair to expect a clone, of course. We must settle for mere virtuosity.

New My own, AFAICT.
Actually, visage-wise, I think he's even *more* like I always imagined Holmes to look, than was even mr Brett.

And ISTR he had some suitably impressive theatrical credentials to his name; IIYF(*).

(*): GIYF, only with the IMDB filling in for Google.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New 1st season is on DVD
check out your local video store or Netflix.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:golf_lover44@yahoo.com|contact me]
New Not Rochester - Captain Wentworth
...in the extraordinarily graceful 1995 production of Persuasion, which I must add to my collection one day, playing opposite the wanly luminous Amanda Root, an actress of such depth and grace as to make, say, Emma Thompson look like Paris Hilton.

We just finished the first season of Rome last night. The producers have taken some grotesque historical liberties, and traduced the good names of two or three perfectly respectable Roman matrons, but much can be forgiven here, as with Fellini Satyricon, on account of the vividness with which the sheer alien quality of the ancient world is conveyed. As to Ciarán Hinds' Caesar, I was both impressed and disappointed: largely impressed because his performance conveyed the icy singleness of purpose of the man; slightly disappointed because the portrayal somehow missed his titanic character. Caesar wasn't merely a Roman politician of unusual determination and unusual talent—he was a different creature altogether from the contemporaries who killed him, standing in relation to his profession and his era roughly as Leonardo da Vinci did to the corresponding elements. I blame here the script, and not the actor's craft.

An interesting biography of Caesar (The Education of Julius Caesar) was published a couple of decades ago by one Arthur Kahn, who was almost certainly, to judge from his CV and from the bio itself, what used to be called "an unreconstructed communist," albeit in his case closeted. If you can get past the almost comically Marxist stylistic tics, there's much to admire in both the account and in the subject. I seem to recall as well that there was a much-admired bio published in Germany in the 1990s...perhaps CRC can help me out here?

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Thanks - for both reviews.
A friend's Netflix should fill me in then, as and when. Amanda alone is sufficient attraction.

I confess to settling for Uncertainty re the balance sheet on Caesar's greatness VS any gross omissions in habits/ off-job character; this especially re the occasional maverick's assertion of there being demons. It is inescapable that such a figure shall generate detractors -- and then one must attempt, centuries later to determine Their prejudices. This looks mightily like a recursive exercise, except for the hardcore boring (as in delving) amateur, ever in search of Truth.

Sorry to hear that Rome's script suffers from irreverence/ignorance of proper scale - while defaming.. possibly some close acquaintances of mine.. in another time-line? ;) Still, if the milieu is captured exceeding well, free of deMilleism, it's gotta beat any Action flic. (Just saw Wordplay == in Reviews.)

Somewhere on my list is a ref to (I think this-) Kahn, re. an essay or play on Lord Byron. As a fan of the Byron/Schumann collaborative tone-poem, Manfred -- and particularly of the profound performance mentioned in these pages -- I see I'll have to bump that entry up -- though a quick Google doesn't elucidate. Seeing his take on Byron, might offer a ~calibration on how he was apt to treat Noble C\ufffdsar. Or maybe not.

Mistrust is the most necessary characteristic of the chess player.
-- Siegbert Torrasch, Chess Master
New WhaddayathinkIyam, an academic or just a playboy?
If I were paid to read books during working hours, or if I were so well off I wouldn't have to be paid but could spend my time reading anyway, then, yes, then I'd read a lot of history and biographies and stuff. As it is, though... Ha! :-(

So I'll present only my "best guess":
Karl Christ: Caesar: Annäherungen an einen Diktator. Beck, München 1994, ISBN 3-406-47288-5
Which was shamelessly cribbed off the [link|http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Iulius_Caesar#Sekund.C3.A4rliteratur|German Wikipedia page for ol' Gaius].

Sorry, that's the best I can do... (It'll have to be good enough, for a Kulturbanause. :-) HTH, anyway.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
     Speaking of which, BTW, Ash: - (CRConrad) - (6)
         (Probably regrettably) - no experience - (Ashton) - (5)
             My own, AFAICT. - (CRConrad)
             1st season is on DVD - (lincoln)
             Not Rochester - Captain Wentworth - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Thanks - for both reviews. - (Ashton)
                 WhaddayathinkIyam, an academic or just a playboy? - (CRConrad)

Pull. Snick! Push. Snick! Pull. Snick!
41 ms